Search
Like Tree57Likes

Is there a real need for the new 235mm class

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
That is wrong to say. Problem with the EFRA is that they have no direct contact with the drivers but all meetings are done with country representatives. Those representatives mostly do not talk with the drivers of their country of how to vote for proposals. Not to mention that even then you do see people voting for personal or even commercial reasons.
My statement was overly simplistic but we are thinking the same.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Possible dumb question: Can you fit a crappy pullstart .12 motor into a 1/8 classic chassis and slap on a sedan shell?

Limit to 1 gear /2wd /control tyres.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:03 AM
Tech Adept

https://www.redrc.net/2023/03/pip-ae...l/#more-210246

Those who wants to make these cars with wider tyres seriously need to wake up. Wider tyres can put the power down better, resulting in people needs to have the fastest engine = not cheaper. I get the idea of removing diffs and having solid rear axle and front oneway, but something needs to be done to the engine as well.

Make some fixed timing values, stroke, bore etc. that engine manufacturers needs to follow, and make the maximum MSRP of the engine €150 and €200 with pipe. Same bearings in the engine, optimum would be fixed engine design, where the manufacturers only can change the cooling head to their desired design and color.
nitrodude likes this.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

"...comes out of necessity for a upcoming new 235mm class as there are no existing bodies available for those wanting to race."

This is a seriously funny statement - what came first, the body or those wanting to race?

On a serious note, as an asphalt nitro racer I wish all the best for our struggling breed. I just hope you guys know what you're doing. I always enjoyed watching 1/10 at some races I've been to as they look amazing and on the edge.
Rick Vessell and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:20 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Foodie
https://www.redrc.net/2023/03/pip-ae...l/#more-210246

Those who wants to make these cars with wider tyres seriously need to wake up. Wider tyres can put the power down better, resulting in people needs to have the fastest engine = not cheaper. I get the idea of removing diffs and having solid rear axle and front oneway, but something needs to be done to the engine as well.

Make some fixed timing values, stroke, bore etc. that engine manufacturers needs to follow, and make the maximum MSRP of the engine €150 and €200 with pipe. Same bearings in the engine, optimum would be fixed engine design, where the manufacturers only can change the cooling head to their desired design and color.
The shown pictures are from a good side to hide the wrong shape. It is the same body as shown before in this topic, looking from above the dimensions are totally ugly.
A blue printed engine would be something, but forget it, you do need a lot of effort to find out if the engine is really standard because I know from some German Hobbycup engine experiments.....
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
The shown pictures are from a good side to hide the wrong shape. It is the same body as shown before in this topic, looking from above the dimensions are totally ugly.
A blue printed engine would be something, but forget it, you do need a lot of effort to find out if the engine is really standard because I know from some German Hobbycup engine experiments.....
What is the difference between having electric RC brushless motors according to specified specs, compared to a nitro engine?
Old 03-15-2023, 06:52 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Foodie
What is the difference between having electric RC brushless motors according to specified specs, compared to a nitro engine?
Somewhere in the past with the old 235mm class Serpent had set (advised the EFRA and other organisations) the max port height for the engines on both intake and exhaust. About the crankshaft (with which a lot was to gain) was nothing written than only no signs of modification (grinding), so that was the 1st thing to cheat on by using another spec crankshaft.
Then Serpent came with the EVO2 engine with different bore/stroke specs. Keeping the port heights at the same specified specs did give that engine higher port timings. How to win an EC when only those engines were available for the team drivers......
The German Hobbycup has one rule, no grinding..... Any work on the crankshaft and ports will be seen but open up the hole in the crankcase under the carburator nicely with a mill will never be detected if people are only doing a visual inspection. The Picco PSS engine has the crankcase everywhere black anodized. OK, if you really want to cheat a re-anodize is easily done.

With brushless there are resistance limits set on the coils, one winding less will lower the resistance a lot and will be detected, even people who like to rewind as tight as possible for a shorter wire can get problems going under the limit..
But still you need to measure it as also the rotor strength, sensor timing etc when all is set to real stock with a locked endbell.
To make it more easy with a one type of motor some manufacturers did laser engrave partnumbers on all parts to show if they are original, it is still no 100% detecting but for many people less easy to exchange parts with something better.

With Nitro it is the same, if you want a blue printed engine, you do need a device to measure port and cranktimings and also the bore and stroke.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
Possible dumb question: Can you fit a crappy pullstart .12 motor into a 1/8 classic chassis and slap on a sedan shell?

Limit to 1 gear /2wd /control tyres.
funny you state this, we have run 1:8IC with base .15 motors as a trial in the late 90s with a machined offset engine mount and conical header adapter. Yet even then the overall mechanical grip / rolling resistance / weight proved fatal for the motor. Then when 2wd pan was popular I threw a 3port Nova pullstart into my sons Motonica, and it worked fine.

Yet as others have stated, many have "re-discovered" this class, without knowing or being aware that we had 235mm years ago... so now they are trying to "invent" it...

So for them, I wish them all the luck, as reviving classes without taking into account why they fell out of favor does not always work out (F1 and Pro-10 for example).

It should be a support class with no Factory drivers allowed! Lets not forget how Patrick Schäfer and Thomas Burger Ringer have tried to Stimulation 1:8IC with their seies.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

^Hmmm, maybe it's time to mandate very small restrictor sizes or start downsizing the engines for 1/10th. As the complaint is too much power....

I think XRAY once had a .09 engine for their 1/18 th scale.....
Old 03-15-2023, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I like it

Hiya folks,

I have a converted mugen mtx4 to 220/235 specs...
Whilst I do use a lola bodyshell (cos it came with the conversion), I do run it as a 2wd (with 2 speed) and a .12 os tz engine. It's fun as heck.

My personal views to RC is that it has transformed from being a fun activity, to an intense balls out racing program. If 235mm (hopefully as 2wd) does make a come back, I hope it becomes a fun class where people can enjoy the racing, rather then just focusing on a trophy win.

Intense racing has its place... just not as a hobby.
UrabusDenis likes this.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:17 AM
Tech Lord

^^^^^ So true

Most racers today only complain about grip. Illegal tire saucing was the trick for many racers to go fast but the majority does not want tire saucing because it costs money and time. Funny is to read that all want the track owners to spray their tracks with some grip fluid. To me it is the same idea but only shifting the costs and work to the track.

To me searching for grip with some setup changes and driving style is a part of racing no matter how the grip is.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

I’m quite a bit late to this thread, but I honestly think that the IC 200mm class is a victim of its initial success, especially after a WC class was created for it. With a world title up for grabs, it garner attention, and with that attention comes innovation.

Of course, the cars have gotten better (I still remember my Serpent Impulse, and today’s cars are worlds apart), but more importantly, the engines have gotten a lot more powerful! I remember my first couple of drives with my Impulse. Sure, it was a little faster than my EP 190mm at the time, but not by much. Today’s ICTC’s are much faster than those cars/engines from over 20 years ago… like, SCARY fast. And with the increase in speed, so comes the increase in difficulty - with setting up the chassis, not to mention the test of limits for the drivers. While it might not be too much to handle for WC drivers, and perhaps the younger generation, I can tell you that it’s a bit of a handful for… let me just say “experienced” folks like myself.

Maybe the 200mm class should be more of a “stock” type class - but with a WC class under contention, it’s probably too late for that now - and the LAST thing anyone wants is another designation, such as “Stock/Sportsman”. I think we all can agree that class mes have gotten segmented enough already.

So I don’t know what a 235mm class would accomplish - sure, the wider stance will make them more stable, but you still have to figure out the setups, they’ll still get faster (and harder to drive) making setup even more important. At the end of the day, they will share the same “sore thumb” that the old EP Pan class had with non-prototype bodies, and that is that the width of the chassis makes the cars look weird. Even the 200mm width pushes the boundaries of keeping within scale looking appearance.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont see the problem with this class as long as the cars handle better still use the .12 motors and there easier to drive. Wouldnt it be easier for people to convert there 200mm chassis over to 235 and run what they got? The motors will handle the larger tires making the cars easier to drive and make the tuning window of the cars better. why such push back on trying to either evolve the class and bring in new people into the rc culture. Yes it has failed in the past but I see nothing wrong in trying to correct and learn from the mistakes and making something better.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Er...

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
I’m quite a bit late to this thread, but I honestly think that the IC 200mm class is a victim of its initial success, especially after a WC class was created for it. With a world title up for grabs, it garner attention, and with that attention comes innovation.

Of course, the cars have gotten better (I still remember my Serpent Impulse, and today’s cars are worlds apart), but more importantly, the engines have gotten a lot more powerful! I remember my first couple of drives with my Impulse. Sure, it was a little faster than my EP 190mm at the time, but not by much. Today’s ICTC’s are much faster than those cars/engines from over 20 years ago… like, SCARY fast. And with the increase in speed, so comes the increase in difficulty - with setting up the chassis, not to mention the test of limits for the drivers. While it might not be too much to handle for WC drivers, and perhaps the younger generation, I can tell you that it’s a bit of a handful for… let me just say “experienced” folks like myself.

Maybe the 200mm class should be more of a “stock” type class - but with a WC class under contention, it’s probably too late for that now - and the LAST thing anyone wants is another designation, such as “Stock/Sportsman”. I think we all can agree that class mes have gotten segmented enough already.

So I don’t know what a 235mm class would accomplish - sure, the wider stance will make them more stable, but you still have to figure out the setups, they’ll still get faster (and harder to drive) making setup even more important. At the end of the day, they will share the same “sore thumb” that the old EP Pan class had with non-prototype bodies, and that is that the width of the chassis makes the cars look weird. Even the 200mm width pushes the boundaries of keeping within scale looking appearance.
There is nothing scale about on road cars...
Be it gp, gt, 1/12, istc, gt12, 1/10 gp, 235mm...

None of the bodyshells remotely resemble a car anymore...
except maybe... f1?
Rick Vessell and nitrodude like this.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Q-B0R0 B0MBER
I dont see the problem with this class as long as the cars handle better still use the .12 motors and there easier to drive. Wouldnt it be easier for people to convert there 200mm chassis over to 235 and run what they got? The motors will handle the larger tires making the cars easier to drive and make the tuning window of the cars better. why such push back on trying to either evolve the class and bring in new people into the rc culture. Yes it has failed in the past but I see nothing wrong in trying to correct and learn from the mistakes and making something better.
By having wider tyres, the price will increase for a set. They will say wear is lower, but people will true them down to optimum diameter, and there goes you better tyre wear, out of the window. What is happening to the belts and pulleys with more grip from the tyres? They will wear out faster.

They need to focus on making it cheaper to run, not make it more expensive which is what they are doing atm.
Q-B0R0 B0MBER likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.