New IRIS by AME

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default New IRIS by AME

Project IRIS by AME

#ProjectIRIS

Getting close now

IRIS - The Explanation and reasoning behind the design of the next generation of touring cars

I would like to give all of you an in-view of how and why I have designed IRIS the way it is.

I have tried to go to the roots of why RC cars are the way they are today and what can be done, or not done, to improve and refine.

I have had some important guide lines when designing the IRIS platform.

1. Easy to build.
Why? Well actually this is something I see very very often at RC tracks and clubs. Poorly built cars. Even with the very high quality of today’s cars, still many or actually most people have cars not being good or correctly built and this is the major point why some cars, even with same setups as other drivers, have cars handling extremely bad. Cars are tweaked, dampers are not same left & right, bulkhead and top decks are just screwed together without any thought. This is so much more important than many people think.

2. Easy to change setups
Why? Well very simple. People are lazy even many times without knowing that they are.
If your car is handling in a specific way and you have 3 setup change ideas, trust me, you will start with the one which is easiest and with the less hassle to change. Admit it to yourself, how often do you change oil in your shocks, yet alone, how often do you even rebuild your shocks between races. When did you actually change A-arms when you thought that a softer or harder version might be better, but puh... that’s a lot of work for a maybe...
So making the changes to your car, either as easy as possible, or change the design so that some changes won’t be needed has been a priority.

3. Spare part availability
Why? Well, to make sure that when something breaks that you can continue to race or drive and enjoy RC as much as possible.
But how can I do this with the design? Well, not so much, but trying to have as few different parts as needed (but not on the cost of lower performance). Using the same A-arm front and rear and only 1 plastic mixture but using carbon inserts for stiffness instead, same camber link holders all over the car etc.
This allows you as a driver to have less spare parts and the retailers as well, but still having all spare parts one needs. This is not always easy as the most important is performance, but where and when it’s possible, it should be made and I have done this to my best ability.

4. As few compromises as possible
A RC car, at every part of the car is a compromise. You cannot get away from that. Not possible. The key though, is to minimize the compromises and maybe maybe take some of the compromises out of the equation. Like shock mounting positions on the A-arms which I will tell you about below.

5. Basic design understanding
The most difficult one. Questioning and understanding why the cars look like they do today. Going to the roots of the design, searching thru history of RC design.
Are the design of some part today an evolution of something that just worked, or an evolution of something really thought through? Really questioning the basics and see how other parts might have been designed based on something not optimized.

6. Only copy if no other better solution is found
Only copy if I really don't have any other better idea...enough companies takes something that works, copies it and brings it to the market as their own product....it’s so boring and anyway no point for me to do. However, if a solution is or might be the best already on the market and I cannot think of anything better, then of course use it. There is no point to make things worse, just to be different.

7. Bring some innovation to RC, understandable, easy to use innovations.

Thru out the last 15 years or so I have followed the development of the touring cars closely and except adapting cars to new rules, like LiPo batteries, brushless motors, there are 2 major aspects that has been improved.
1. Getting a lower center of gravity
2. Improving and optimizing flex characteristics

To be continued...
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks very interesting! What will distribution be like in the US?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

I like the low mounted anti-roll bar setup.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Rotary shocks?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Here's a bit more on project IRIS. Not much info though.

http://www.redrc.net/2015/09/ame-pro...h-touring-car/
Old 09-22-2015, 02:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jorgesimes
Even with the very high quality of today’s cars, still many or actually most people have cars not being good or correctly built
So true.

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
Rotary shocks?
My money is on damper tubes.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Looks like lever/torsion type suspension?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

... with Schumacher style front steering knuckles (no C hub). Lots to like here and it's pretty hard to disagree with the project guidelines.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

September 25th!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:27 AM
Tech Addict

There was a post on Facebook last night from Andreas saying the announcement is delayed.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, unfortunately there was an unforseen problem and the presentation of project Iris suffered a little delayed. Andreas is doing everything he can to present it as soon as possible.

Last edited by jorgesimes; 09-25-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Andreas (AME) quote from facebook:

"Kickstarter informed me that no photo like CAD renderings where allowed to use in the presentation. A rule I unfortunately did not see before hand.
So 2 weeks of hard work making nice looking detailed pictures not being used.
I will now make the CAD style pics asap and update my presentation and hopefully and most likely Kickstarter will approve of them and then all will go online as planned.

Doing my best to make it happen asap"
Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Is there a price suggested price yet?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck Jorge!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Project Iris goes live today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.