Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR Worlds Qualifying

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I don't see how a temporary asphalt track could possibly be affordable AND a world class facility.
Like Monaco for F1 racing
This is temporary, no ?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

It would be pretty lame of ROAR to pass on hosting the Worlds. I think you would see more US participation than you are expecting. Some people want to race in and IFMAR event to have fun and see the best in the World compete.

However, to get the participation it would ideal to have both on a large (120x60) temporary carpet track. Indoors just makes everything a lot easier on the organizers, racers, etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Like Monaco for F1 racing
This is temporary, no ?
Yes, but the equivalent in RC would be a car park with some cheap plastic tubing etc. certainly not world class.

If someone can afford to put in proper curbs etc then surely it should be a proper facility like Jackson, Tamiya Raceway etc.

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
It would be pretty lame of ROAR to pass on hosting the Worlds. I think you would see more US participation than you are expecting. Some people want to race in and IFMAR event to have fun and see the best in the World compete.

However, to get the participation it would ideal to have both on a large (120x60) temporary carpet track. Indoors just makes everything a lot easier on the organizers, racers, etc.
It would be pretty lame to have the TC worlds run on carpet.
Why would it be easier for organizers and racers.

Skiddins
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

When ISTC was a demo event it was run on carpet (the year Spashett won both 10th and 12th pan and the ISTC if memory serves correctly).
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I respectfully disagree. The ETS races are fantastic, and they take place on carpet.

There is NO reason the TC Worlds shouldn't be held on carpet. IMHO, I think the Worlds should be 12th and TC carpet for this year, then 12th and TC asphalt for the next, then maintain that rotation for all future events.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
When ISTC was a demo event it was run on carpet (the year Spashett won both 10th and 12th pan and the ISTC if memory serves correctly).
You are correct sir.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
IMHO, I think the Worlds should be 12th and TC carpet for this year, then 12th and TC asphalt for the next, then maintain that rotation for all future events.
This is a cool idea...I like it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Wouldnt it be awesome if The worlds were held say the last week of Sept at the Riveria in 2014 and then the following week the IIC took place at the same track. World Championships first then the normal people of the world get to race on the same venue and layout as the WC was decided on. That could be an attention getter!

EA
I think the track would have to be quite a bit larger for an event of this size. Plus staff would have to be doubled. Set up in a ballroom in Vegas would get the most international attention but it would take quite a bit of planning and the willingness to accept a small profit for more work. The 1986 1/12 Worlds were held at the Tropicana Hotel indoors on carpet.

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
I had a good read of the rules last night and the ISTC (touring event) can be held on carpet too... Terrible idea though.

If 12th was to be on asphalt again then there would be a control tire... This is to stop the masami/yokomo domination since forever..
The last two Worlds on carpet didn't slow them down much.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I think the track would have to be quite a bit larger for an event of this size. Plus staff would have to be doubled. Set up in a ballroom in Vegas would get the most international attention but it would take quite a bit of planning and the willingness to accept a small profit for more work. The 1986 1/12 Worlds were held at the Tropicana Hotel indoors on carpet.

The last two Worlds on carpet didn't slow them down much.
Got 2 years to work it out Rick! Get on it! LOL I think it could be one of the best and most well attended Worlds ever if done somewhere like that.

EA
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Why? Some of the best attended TC races in the world are held on carpet...

If it was a proper size track layout/venue, it could be a fantastic TC race. It would also take some of the emphasis off of the tire strategy/longevity...
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
I respectfully disagree. The ETS races are fantastic, and they take place on carpet.

There is NO reason the TC Worlds shouldn't be held on carpet. IMHO, I think the Worlds should be 12th and TC carpet for this year, then 12th and TC asphalt for the next, then maintain that rotation for all future events.
Two of the ETS races are on carpet, the winter races, then it's outside for the rest.

Why do the US drivers seem to have this thing about wanting to run World's TC's on carpet when you have some great outdoor tracks to choose from?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think world's should be a mixture of carpet and asphalt (2 days for each or so). That would show whos the best overal not just on asphalt.

Last edited by 303slowdown; 01-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

People tend to compare the IFMAR worlds with other events and that is not very fair.
There is no way to compare the ETS to an IFMAR event. The majority of the racers tend to claim how much more fun they have at ETS races and equivalent big scale events but that is perfectly logical. The atmosphere is friendly and a lot less tensed than that of IFMAR events because simply what is at stake is of a lot lower value than at an IFMAR event.
Ask any manufacturer how they rate their titles and not a single one would ever rate an event win anywhere near the value of an IFMAR win.
In this respect when IFMAR alocates their races they must consider that the track is suitable to provide level of racing equivalent to the event's status.
For example, browse through the videos of all ETS carpet races and then watch through the 3 amain finals of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 titles. The carpet tracks are nice but they are just too small for this level of racing and I bet if you added all the overtaking moves made for the lead from all the carpet races run at a whole ETS season they would stil be less than all the lead passes made in the recent triple Amains of the 2012 IFMAR worlds.

I think the US have some fantastic outdoor tracks and they are capable of running IFMAR events.
In 2004 I went to the Kissimmee and the track, location and facilities were great. They just need to overcome the stigma that outdoor tracks are for nitro racing.
With the current performance of electric open mod, any outdoor track is never too big for these little rockets.

John
JD RACING BLOG
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Two of the ETS races are on carpet, the winter races, then it's outside for the rest.

Why do the US drivers seem to have this thing about wanting to run World's TC's on carpet when you have some great outdoor tracks to choose from?
I don't have a thing about wanting TC's to run on carpet (don't really care what surface TC's run on, as I don't really care for 'em at all). I just think it's easier to secure a venue to hold both if they're both raced on the same surface at each event. Hence my suggestion to switch surfaces every two years. That way the 12th scale cars get their preferred surface one world's then the TC's get their preferred surface at the next. Then one location can accommodate both WC's, which logistically makes more sense.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Cypress on securing one venue so that this race can be hosted in the U.S. again..... It is the U.S. turn to host and hopfully it can be done.

Not sure why it has to be done in a ballroom vs securing a gymnasium similar to the ETS venues...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.