Wiki Posts
Search

Magnet zapper

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Magnet zapper

Who makes them? where to buy one? Is it worth to buy one?
What are your experiences with it?
Thanks
Jorge
Old 10-31-2004, 04:25 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recently purchased a Team1 magnet zapper. (http://www.team1rc.com/)

One thing to know is that a magnet zapper doesn't make magnets stronger, but rather saturates a magnet to its maximum capacity. If a motor has been ran long, hot, or abused then the magnets usually lose strength. In that case a zap will restore their previous magnetic strength.

I've found that when rebuilding old or abused motors the magnets do indeed need resaturating. Doing so does give that little extra that separates a good motor from a very good one.

With new motors however... I've seen no benefit. I have heard, though haven't experienced, that handout motors usually show gains in magnet strength as the magnets in handouts often aren't fully saturated.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Check out the one from Thunder RC http://www.thunderrc.com/
Old 10-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you see no benefit in zapping new motors, then your magnet zappers doesn't fully saturate the magnets period.

Ask EAMotorsports about my zapper. Every motor he builds is zapped with it. You can tell a difference on the dyno and the track. That includes stock and 19 turns. I've also zapped mod motors with great success. I won't say EVERY motor can benefit from zapping straight from the factory, but close.

Very few motors if any come fully zapped whether it is a handout or it comes straight from the factory. Unless a motor builder has used a GOOD magnet zapper on the motor before you get it then there is usually a performance gain by zapping.

The biggest performance gain is in stock and 19 turn motors though. There magnets are usually not as good as say a Ti based motor etc. Which means they weaken easier... In addition to not being fully saturated from the factory.

Thought I'd throw out a few facts.

However, the bottom line is... if you make many mistakes in a race then spending more time practicing would be more beneficial than spending money on a magnet zapper. Although it will gain you performance, it won't move you from the K main to the A main by itself. If you are close and make very few mistakes, then zapping your magnets might be just what you need to put you on top.

I hope that helps.

Michael
Old 10-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've got 3 units...

First, I got a Team 1 Zapper....it seems to work ok....but has poor instructions and rusts really bad......and it weighs 2.5 million pounds. It's very voltage dependent, not something you take to the track because of this....not only will you not get a good zap, but you will more than likely false peak everyones charger and reset some old guys venitlator down the street....not to mention it took a while to get the unit, with little to no response through email.....and my tech support question was never answered after two emails.

Next I got the Trinity Portable zapper.....this unit is self powered, as it uses a huge NEO magnet to zap. It requires no power source. Its very portable, it's what I always take to the track with me...the main downside is the cost, which is over two grand...

And then I got the Zapper Tempest2000 makes.....VERY nice unit. Its much more portable than the team 1....and it even in a low voltage enviroment, it still gets a good zap in the tests I have done...it still is subject to the false peaking other chargers on the same circuit...the unit also is much more resistant to rust and comes with better instructions (which just got better with some additional info they just added).

As of now, at the shop I use the Thunder RC unit on ALL of my production and team motors.....(I still use the trinity unit at the track)....

Later EddieO
Old 10-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Eddie I appreciate the kind words.

I'm curious as to your comment about it being subject to kicking off chargers though. Our unit pulls less than what you charge a battery at in amps. It does not use line current when it zaps as it closes the charge circuit. I personally zap at the track multiple times on the same circuit as my chargers. No false peaking.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I use one at Michael said and it is by far the best unit I have used. I have used all including my own before and none seem to compare to Michael's.

Eddie I have used my zapper at home on the same power strip while cycling 4 batteries at a time and never false peaked one... Have you actually experienced this? If so I will move mine to another ckt next time just in case!! LOL

EA
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

JLMG1971,

I don't currently own a zapper but I have seen the unit Tempest makes, it's SWEET. I know it also works really well. If I were buying one today it would be that one hands down.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default How to Zap

OK - I picked up a used Zapper from a guy getting out and haven't reallly used it.

I have a compass and found North South polarity on the can.

Do you zap with the armature in - or out??

The instructions say hold the zapper on for 3 seconds

What else is there to know?

bill in ca
Old 04-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Well I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Jeff Wittman, and I own Advanced Racing Components. We are Just about to release our own magnet charger-the Eclipse. Final product pics, are being processed, and avertisesements will soon follow. I just saw this post and thought I would post.

I agree with most of what is posted here in regards to magnets and how they degrade over time, and of course recommend zapping all motors because there are nearly always gains.

Our units are a air-core, capacitive discharge type, producing over 76,000 gauss. They are aimed at motor manufacurers/builders and will be in the $1600 dollar retail range ($1200 street price) and are absolutely the best magnetizer on the market. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email us at:

[email protected]
Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Just got my zapper today from Advanced Racing Components, very professionally built unit ...I am extremely impressed!!!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How much does it weight?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

The UPS label said 40 lbs ...that's about what it felt like, didn't put it on a scale to verify.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

so what is this really doing? does it zap the magnets free of magnetic charge or does it up the magnetic charge? sorry for the spellin
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

The Eclipse is a capacitive discharge magnetizer, utilizing an air core coil system. Essentially this means that you submerge the motor can into a set of coils, and then discharge the energy in the capacitors through those coils producing an extremely intense magnetic field (76,000 gauss). There are no iron or steel cores, shoes or slugs. The unit is still heavy though, The unit is 26 pounds, and the foam lined case is 8 pounds.

Jeff Wittman
Advanced Racing Components