Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 03:06 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The Profoform Stratus does seem to be one of the more popular bodies here. Very few run the Stratus Fear that comes with the XXX-S. I prefer Accord bodies but I'm probably the only one here that does.

Keep in mind that Kinwald milled his car out to run on carpet tracks with virtually zero debris. I highly doubt he would run the same mod on in an outdoor situation.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

by milling out the chassis you just make it like any other belt driven TC, I never had problems with debris in my belts with my pro2 where I race, so it could be done even if you race outside if it is on a track that is cleaned and preped for racing
Old 02-03-2002, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am in the process of milling out my chassis, not as extreme as Kinwalds car but still quit a bit. So far I havent noticed a loss of stiffness and I plan on useing all those extra stickers I have laying around to cover the holes and keep it sealed up.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by kansasracer
By the way:

I was just looking at the coverage of the Novak race and I saw Kindwald's car. That looks so crappy...does anyone know if it actually worked?
Can anyone tell me where the photos of Kinwalds modified chassis are to be found?

Thanks in advance,

Trips
Old 02-03-2002, 07:28 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Trips, with all the articles you've written for R/C Tech you should know to check the front page.

http://www.rctech.net/pages/events.shtml

Check out the Novak race coverage, and then the Car pictures link from the list on the left.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

you guys all must remember, brian is always testing and trying new and unusual stuff.....that is how losi gets better...and also what they pay him for.....another thing to remember, if brians chassis breaks, he screws up or anything like that he just asks and he gets a new chassis....he does not buy a new 50 dollar chassis.....just something to remember before you guys fire up the dremel....
Old 02-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Doh!!

I did look through the Novak race coverage, but I didn't spot the "Factory car pictures" link on the left... I just looked at the pics from each day at the track...

Thanks!!

Trips
Old 02-04-2002, 01:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all your thoughts around the milling thing!!!!
Actually, I wasn't thinking of going as extreme as Kindwall. I'm only going to mill away on the "tray" or what ever you call the thing where the electronics are. Please excuse my bad english since I'm from sweden, and english isn't my native language!!! I'm going to replicate the graphite chassi cutouts. I'll post how it went when I'm finnished.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

At last I have confinced two fellow drivers in our wintercompetition to start using the XXX-s. The "problem" that we all three are facing in our stock (27 turns) races is that the car has a great amount of speed, but misses the accelaration we need. It is a middle to big carpet circuit. We use different motors (From P2K to MVP) and have already gone from 88- 26 to 88-23 to look for the acceleration. None of us has a one way installed. Loosening the belt did not give the hoped for advantage, we are still behind the TC3"s........

Has any of you have an idea that would make us in the Netherlands go as fast with the XXX-s as it does all of you in the States?! Thanks,
Old 02-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok guys. I'm finnished with the millin.
It didn't really have the result I was hoping for. The chassis is now 16g(0.5oz??) lighter. It's always something though. Take a look at the pictures......
I'm not sure if this mod has changed anything on the handling yet. I'll probably go to the track(indoor carpet, we have winter in Sweden) tomorow... I'll get back to you then......
Be careful when grinding stuff!!!! Use eye protection and only do this kind of work in a good ventilated area!! A piece of melted stiffizel(the plastic XXXS is made of) sprayed on to my glasses.... I don't dare to think what would have happened if I didn't wore protection glasses.
Attached Thumbnails Losi XXX-S-all2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

TSR6: Losi needs to hire you as the "worst case scenario" when they test their cars.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
got tech? | [email protected]

well you guy's have to get in line...... They have the best/worst case driver in me..... and i have been with them since 1985.....

Ron
Old 02-04-2002, 07:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm not going to mill my chassis...

I am just not good enough to make this a "must do" since I would better my times by not hitting stuff

But I do have an extra stock XXX-S chassis for anyone who tries to "mill" and messes it up
Old 02-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rocket Ronbo
TSR6: Losi needs to hire you as the "worst case scenario" when they test their cars.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
got tech? | [email protected]

well you guy's have to get in line...... They have the best/worst case driver in me..... and i have been with them since 1985.....

Ron
Speaking of worse case Ron, what does the team do when one of its drivers break all of the right side rear a-arms at a race?
Old 02-04-2002, 08:04 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Ron: No wonder my car never breaks! Good work!
Old 02-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Wow, I can't believe Brian Kinwalds car. The holes in the drive train. I guess stuff doesn't get in there so he doesn't need to worry about it. I guess he also doesn't use the plastic peice that fits over the spur gear? If not, I guess I'll leave mine off cause that should save some weight! hehe

Jits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.