Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Battery Plug Limits

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tamiya Battery Plug Limits

How much can tamiya style plugs handle compared to bullet plugs n deans? ive been using bullet plugs since and thought they have a pretty high limit. But when trying out tamiya plugs, they've burnt all the way through. Is this the theory on tamiyas that they cant handle higher currents than bullet n deans? or what? inputs would be great
Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Somewhere just less than a slightly greared-up Traxxas "Stinger" motor with a stick pack. In other words...not much. LOL
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tamiya connectors should have been gone from this hobby 20years ago. That along with timer chargers. There is no place for them at all. The only application would be silver can 540 sealed motors(junk motors).

Traxxas is trying to set the new standard in connector and good for them. Deans and corrally connectors are the current standard in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
The only application would be silver can 540 sealed motors(junk motors).
Hey now...why do you have to be like that????

Mabuchi class rocks.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Tamiya connectors should have been gone from this hobby 20years ago. That along with timer chargers. There is no place for them at all. The only application would be silver can 540 sealed motors(junk motors).

Traxxas is trying to set the new standard in connector and good for them. Deans and corrally connectors are the current standard in my opinion.
I like to add my 2 cents here. Why on earth did Traxxas have to come up with their own connector. Why couldn't they use Deans connector, or at least make their connector compatible with the Deans connector? Someone at Traxxas mislaid their common sense when that decision was made.

As to the original question I'd guess that new Tamiya plugs could handle about 10-20 amperes continuous current without becoming warm, less when they're worn.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ACtually TRaxxas is very smart, read the latest brushless review in extreme. Already there are battery builders using them incuding venom(rtr market) and maxamps. They are not a connector i would personally use, i direct solder my stuff or use corraly plugs. But for the RTR market they are an ovedue improvement of the tamiya plugs