Wiki Posts
Search

Gluing carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Gluing carbon fiber

What is the best way to adhere carbon fiber to carbon fiber? Say connecting a rod to a strip. Also has anyone built a custom carbon fiber chassis? I found a few good priced dealers for some carbon fiber parts and I'd like to experiment with different designs for an ultralight dragster chassis.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

ca glue works well
Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 AM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmmm
not that you should glue carbon together, its much like fiber glass, but with epoxy resins..
so if you do glue rough both peices coursly. and use super strength epoxy.even get carbon rovings and bind together...
or if using zap, still sand course, and use the sanding dust as reinforcement. sand a peice so get lots of dust sprinkly heaps on joint...even baking soda works
It works but put on a blue and white striped apron when doing.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would say epoxy or araldite. as long as you get the mix right it can be harder than the material you are glueing. canoeists trus their lives with epoxy, so its good stuff.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

I don't mind using an epoxy, but what would be a good one to use? I searched for araldite, but I can't find it anywhere around here.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

araldite may only be sold in the uk... it comes in two tubes, a a red and a white.it is basically just a thick epoxy resin, unlike the watery stuff used for fiberglassing. i think you can still use normal epoxy, maybe it has instructions in the box on how to make it thicker.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

There are plenty of 2 part epoxies around, what am I looking for. Is it just a thick epoxy? I know of a few paste epoxies that are really thick, Is a fast drying time ok or is it better slow? Or does it matter?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

yeah its basically a 2 part paste epoxy. it has a consistensy like the hot glue straight out the nozzle of the hot glue gun but it sets rock hard. drying time isn't really an issue, although slower drying is better because you can mix it in larger batches, so you get less wastege. i 'tack' what i'm about to glue with a hot glue gun, because it dries in seconds but can be peeled off.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a fast drying epoxy will dry harder, but more brittle. a slower drying epoxy will give you work time, and will be a bit more forgiving when doing its job. unless you super impatient, go with a slower one. use something to clamp, the problem with slow drying is gravity starts to hate you.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

RaceGEEK, that's not necessarily true.....

Anyway, as ohers have said, you can use Araldite (which is effectively a multipurpose, quick curing adhesive). It will give a decent bond, and will cure relitvely well, without need for a postcure.

Now if you want a really good bond... have a look for some specific purpose adhesive. SP340LV (from SP Systems http://www3.gurit.com/marine/products_adhesives.php ...guess who I work for ) is a very good epoxy adhesive, provides a good bond, and there are a range of speeds avaliable. To put it simply, this is whats used in yachts, from America's Cup, to Volvo Ocean race, to bond bulkheads into the hulls...

(Quick important tip... the mix ratio for epoxies is highly important. With Polyester and Vinylester resins, to speed up the cure you add more catalyst. With epoxies, you need to use a faster hardener. DO NOT add more hardener in an attempt to speed up an epoxy...otherwise you'll be left with uncured material... which is BAD! This is due the way the resins cure.)

If you can't get hold of anything else, you can use some wet laminating resins (much lower viscosity, as this helps impregnate the fibres), and add some filler (silica is good) to bulk it out.

So a few options there

Last edited by TryHard; 08-19-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

I can't get Araldite here in the states, I can't find it anywhere, and according to their website they don't ship to the USA. As far as the link you sent for the marine adhesives, where can I purchase it?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

best people to contact would be Gurit in the US. http://www3.gurit.com/contact/reps/rep_map.php#

They should be able to direct you to a supplier near to you, as I'm pretty sure they don't supply direct.

HiH
Ed