Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity goes EP!! Wh00t!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Leodis
I guess I'll have to spend a little time researching these Grepow cells. My brother hadn't seen an RC battery pack since 1996 until he picked up a pack of my IB4200's last night and he said "Damn this thing is heavy!". I think most of us don't realize just how much heavier these batteries have gotten over the years. It's nice to see there is an alternative to IB and Trinity EP out there that is consistent and lighter.

Could you let me know how much a 6 cell sideXside pack of Grepow 4200's weighs? Thanks again for the link...
Grepow makes an excellent cell and it will get even better.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Yeah, Cuffs set his car on fire on purpose. Jesus, this is probaly the most blatantly stupid post you've ever dropped on RCTech, and for you that's saying something. But then again, it all reverts back to the Screw Wild Cherry Conspiracy now doesn't it?

You don't think Ernie's working on some LIPO stuff too? I don't know if you noticed, but he doesn't usually miss out on a chance to make money.

Scare Tactics by Trinity drivers, to keep selling batteries? Lipo's ain't legal yet guys, so they'll keep sellin' cells to people who race at major events and club tracks with rules. They don't have to scare anybody.

Its not about me ...
Its about having a Roar stock class designed so a new faster motor and battery is available every few months ....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah, Cuffs set his car on fire on purpose. Jesus, this is probaly the most blatantly stupid post you've ever dropped on RCTech, and for you that's saying something. But then again, it all reverts back to the Screw Wild Cherry Conspiracy now doesn't it?
I of course agree with you about it was not intended in anyway, it's laughable. However, knowing what you know about lipo, was it the battery's fault or the users serious error? A lot of people use Jeff's scenario as a reason lipos are dangerous you know. While I felt bad for him that it happened, I will never accept that the blame should be placed on the battery. I also think it's a shame the thread was completely deleted and not just locked.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
That's the one thing that always seems to be missing from the stories and pictures people bring up. It is an important piece of info unless it's just for scare tactics...
I was just curious as our local track is considering allowing Lipo packs for this upcoming season but worried about the dangers. My opinion is to only allow the Orion/Peak 3200/4800 packs as to me they are the ONLY ones to have proven to be basically 100% safe and reliable!! I have yet to hear of a failure, fire or any damage from one of their packs!

EA
Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Its not about me ...
Its about having a Roar stock class designed so a new faster motor and battery is available every few months ....
Why would anything change if Brushless and Lipo packs were ROAR approved? The average club racer and basher racer has it great right now....wait until "racers" get their hands on Lipo's and more brushless systems and motors are out there.....it will be exactly the same as it is now....new motors and new types of Lipo-whatever every few months. That wont change with the wide spead use of them. If I was one of the Lipo lovers I would just sit back and enjoy the ride right now because once the "racers" get their hands on them it will be all down hill and your little club house you have built will be knocked down and you will have to go find a new place to hide and talk about new technology and say everything else is not on your level. Enjoy what you have now becuase Im sure it wont be long until you are pissing and moaning about new Lipo and brushless tech every few months.....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Why would anything change if Brushless and Lipo packs were ROAR approved? The average club racer and basher racer has it great right now....wait until "racers" get their hands on Lipo's and more brushless systems and motors are out there.....it will be exactly the same as it is now....new motors and new types of Lipo-whatever every few months. That wont change with the wide spead use of them. If I was one of the Lipo lovers I would just sit back and enjoy the ride right now because once the "racers" get their hands on them it will be all down hill and your little club house you have built will be knocked down and you will have to go find a new place to hide and talk about new technology and say everything else is not on your level. Enjoy what you have now becuase Im sure it wont be long until you are pissing and moaning about new Lipo and brushless tech every few months.....

Maybe that will be the day that almost everyone on RCTech gets on here and see's what they've been waiting for..... RC Sell out by Wild Cherry!!

J/K Cherry....I dont personally know ya so cant really hold anything against ya....

EA
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
We have a design in place for a saddle pack LiPo and it is just a matter of when and if we want to pull the trigger. So far demand is just not there to put it ahead of the other forth coming LiPo's on the list. if demand continues to increase at the same pace then these batteries could be out sooner then later.
not sure what your plan is, but i'm hoping a hard cased 2S1P with an exterior size of a 3 nimh cells side by side. i can harness them together in P, or 12th scale guys could just run one.. 12th scales can acomodate that already..
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports

Maybe that will be the day that almost everyone on RCTech gets on here and see's what they've been waiting for..... RC Sell out by Wild Cherry!!

J/K Cherry....I dont personally know ya so cant really hold anything against ya....

EA
The joke is .

buying a 1/8 4w

and

How will I be able to afford racing a electric after I purchase it ....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I of course agree with you about it was not intended in anyway, it's laughable. However, knowing what you know about lipo, was it the battery's fault or the users serious error? A lot of people use Jeff's scenario as a reason lipos are dangerous you know. While I felt bad for him that it happened, I will never accept that the blame should be placed on the battery. I also think it's a shame the thread was completely deleted and not just locked.

I don't know the circumstances of the incident. It's entirely possible the pack was damaged on track. I never even saw the thread, but I heard about the fire. It's possible the pack was damaged, accidentally overdischarged, or could possibly have been defective. In some instances it can actually be a faulty battery that causes the problem. Lipo's aren't anymore dangerous than Nimh's, and that's never really been my stance on the issue. All batteries are potentially dangerous, the Alkalines in your transmitter could potentially explode.

My post to Cherry was nothing more than calling him out for questioning the credibility of one of the nicest and most knowledgeable individuals in our sport/hobby.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin K
It's a valid argument in one way and totally invalid in another. Sure we'll end up seeing the matchers take it away and everything will be as insane as nimh. However, there is a decent amount of people who don't need/can't afford to be buying new packs all the time to keep up. I think LiPos cover this aspect beautifully. My packs run the same after 30+ runs as they did on the first. I think this group of racers will grow over time due to this.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't know the circumstances of the incident. It's entirely possible the pack was damaged on track. I never even saw the thread, but I heard about the fire. It's possible the pack was damaged, accidentally overdischarged, or could possibly have been defective. In some instances it can actually be a faulty battery that causes the problem. Lipo's aren't anymore dangerous than Nimh's, and that's never really been my stance on the issue. All batteries are potentially dangerous, the Alkalines in your transmitter could potentially explode.

My post to Cherry was nothing more than calling him out for questioning the credibility of one of the nicest and most knowledgeable individuals in our sport/hobby.
Again the thread is deleted but I'm pretty sure the pack had puffed while on the track. I'm pretty sure he was aware of it as well. My first reaction as a lipo user in this scenario would be "can I borrow a bucket of water and a bunch of salt?" Not driving home with it and leaving it the car. I will also bet it wasn't an Orion pack. God only knows what type of cells they were.

*If I have any part of this story incorrect I'll be happy to edit.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's a valid argument in one way and totally invalid in another. Sure we'll end up seeing the matchers take it away and everything will be as insane as nimh. However, there is a decent amount of people who don't need/can't afford to be buying new packs all the time to keep up. I think LiPos cover this aspect beautifully. My packs run the same after 30+ runs as they did on the first. I think this group of racers will grow over time due to this.
You are right.....your packs run great right NOW and have for 30+ runs. If you are an avid racer then you can see what will happen with the advancement in Lipo technology. Hell if you have been around you have seen Nimh change over the last 4 years and Lipo’s have done the same the last year or so. Wait until you bring hardcore “racers” into this mix and more companies start to out do each other for that all mighty dollar. Everything will come full circle and you will be right back to where Nimh cells are now. Don’t forget that Nimh cells were going to SAVE us from the evils of NiCad cells…..well guess what that never worked…..so why would Lipo be any different? History has a good track record of repeating itself…..enjoy what you have now is all I can say because it will get just as nasty as Nimh cells are now in do time Im sure.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I was just curious as our local track is considering allowing Lipo packs for this upcoming season but worried about the dangers. My opinion is to only allow the Orion/Peak 3200/4800 packs as to me they are the ONLY ones to have proven to be basically 100% safe and reliable!! I have yet to hear of a failure, fire or any damage from one of their packs!

EA
think that's the way really
no soft cased Li-po's (get punctured ,also it will trun into a battery war with guy's strapping thing's like the 6000mah jobbies in there

trakpower also do a good hard cased 7.4v 4800mah ,nice gold brick aswell

K.I.S works well

also side note

horror story's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
taken with a pinch on salt really ,it's like the game `chinese whisper's `
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe because I don't expect a technology to save me from the evils of another. Technology will be driven the most by how much money can be made as always. Personally I think Lipo will help the rc industry grow in the non-pro levels as it's a lot less equipment to buy and time to spend to keep your batteries close to the first few runs' performance. Less investment and less voodoo involved. I don't care what the pros in this hobby do. I can't remember the last time a kid came up to me saying they wanted to get into rc because they saw Matt Francis race and it was awesome. Most are going to start because they know someone who shows them.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The joke is .

buying a 1/8 4w

and

How will I be able to afford racing a electric after I purchase it ....
Trust me...I know...Ive started racing 8th scale off road this summer and know exactly what you mean!! LOL

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.