Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Has anyone tried to rewind brushless motor? >

Has anyone tried to rewind brushless motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone tried to rewind brushless motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Default Has anyone tried to rewind brushless motor?

The most interesting thing about brushless is IMHO the fact that you can wind your own :-).
No balancing issues to worry about.
Do you want 1.5 turn? DIY.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

are you kidding...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Man, what are these people who are starting these ridiculous new brushless threads smoking? The winds are in the can and unless you are Edward Scissorhands, I doubt you can rewind it. Why would you want to?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

True, you don't need to worry about rotational balance but more importantly you have to worry about phase balance. If one phase generates more of a magnetic field than the others, the motor will not run smoothly. Unless you want to risk blowing your ESC don't even try.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by andsetinn
The most interesting thing about brushless is IMHO the fact that you can wind your own :-).
No balancing issues to worry about.
Do you want 1.5 turn? DIY.

Has anyone tried this?
Its not real hard. If your going to try, un wrap the motor and use the same thickness and turns as before to start.

You will never learn unless you try it.

Give it a shot!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Bxpitbull. Why flaming mad ? True, the winds are in the can. But, that's why it's so easy.
I want to try it to see what happens. Same reason why I was one of the first to put backlight in Duratrax Ice, now everyone and their grandmother is doing that.

BlueBird-sr. Phase balance? What exactly is that. I'm electrician, I've wound dozens of full size motors, some weighing couple of hundred kilos but I don't recognize that expression. Then again English is not my native language. If you wind the motor in the same way it was wound (except for number of turns and thickness of wire) using 1 or 2 less winds than original, and connect it in the same way it was connected. How can it be out of phase? If you're worried about destroying expensive ESC let me inform you that LRP has very good budget brushless ESC.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
True, you don't need to worry about rotational balance but more importantly you have to worry about phase balance. If one phase generates more of a magnetic field than the others, the motor will not run smoothly. Unless you want to risk blowing your ESC don't even try.
Read the bold carefully. I did infact explain what "phase balance" means.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Bxpitbull. Why flaming mad ? True, the winds are in the can. But, that's why it's so easy.
I want to try it to see what happens. Same reason why I was one of the first to put backlight in Duratrax Ice, now everyone and their grandmother is doing that.

BlueBird-sr. Phase balance? What exactly is that. I'm electrician, I've wound dozens of full size motors, some weighing couple of hundred kilos but I don't recognize that expression. Then again English is not my native language. If you wind the motor in the same way it was wound (except for number of turns and thickness of wire) using 1 or 2 less winds than original, and connect it in the same way it was connected. How can it be out of phase? If you're worried about destroying expensive ESC let me inform you that LRP has very good budget brushless ESC.

Flaming may have been harsh, but, like anything else, why would you want to?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

as Kyle478 said above, you'll never know unless you try it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take it apart and play with it..the motor i mean.
A better reason to ask why though, is when you look at the "for sale" threads. Seems like every week there's someone getting rid of a 3.5/4.5 motor because it's too fast. Considering the cost is less than $90 for a stock or fastest motor out there , I'm not sure I see the benefit. Unless you just want to play.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Airplane guys have been hand building brushless motors. They sell CD-rom drive motors kits where you recieve all the supplies, all you have to do is wind the wire up.

Example:

http://www.gobrushless.com/store/cgi...brushless+kits
Old 06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by catcars
A better reason to ask why though, is when you look at the "for sale" threads.
people would do it to get an edge in the spec classes like 19t (10.5) and stock (13.5). these motors are a little bit harder to visually tech than a brushed motor without doing a teardown.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
Read the bold carefully. I did infact explain what "phase balance" means.
My, my, you did. I didn't read it that way. Loops of wire, or winds, are not called phases. I assumed that most people have some intelligence and I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to do what would be equivalent of winding brushed motor with one pole 10 turn, the next 12 turn and the third 11 turn. (As an interesting side issue, Honda did experiment and race (and win races) with motorcycle-motors in GP500 racing that worked on what they called "big bang theory" were both cylinders "banged" at nearly the same time, giving very pulsing power output. This was supposed to give the bikes more rear grip since the rear tire was just rolling for large part of its turning circle). I know every wind has to be same number of turns (unless you have multispeed motor, with two or more sets of wires, which I'm not going to go into here) so I apologize for assuming that everyone knows that.

One reason why someone would want to wind brushless motor is if the motor has broken. It could be short circuit in the windings or broken wire from vibration.

Don't forget that these motors have to be wound in the first place. It's not done by magic and they don't pop into existence out of nothing. These small motors it's most likely built by hand.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I completely forgot about the cheating aspect.

Originally Posted by RussB
people would do it to get an edge in the spec classes like 19t (10.5) and stock (13.5). these motors are a little bit harder to visually tech than a brushed motor without doing a teardown.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My, my, you did. I didn't read it that way. Loops of wire, or winds, are not called phases. I assumed that most people have some intelligence and I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to do what would be equivalent of winding brushed motor with one pole 10 turn, the next 12 turn and the third 11 turn. (As an interesting side issue, Honda did experiment and race (and win races) with motorcycle-motors in GP500 racing that worked on what they called "big bang theory" were both cylinders "banged" at nearly the same time, giving very pulsing power output. This was supposed to give the bikes more rear grip since the rear tire was just rolling for large part of its turning circle). I know every wind has to be same number of turns (unless you have multispeed motor, with two or more sets of wires, which I'm not going to go into here) so I apologize for assuming that everyone knows that.

One reason why someone would want to wind brushless motor is if the motor has broken. It could be short circuit in the windings or broken wire from vibration.

Don't forget that these motors have to be wound in the first place. It's not done by magic and they don't pop into existence out of nothing. These small motors it's most likely built by hand.
I think he means that if you wind one pole slightly differently you may have more wire on it and that pole might have a different amount of magnetic strength compared to the others. If that did happen wouldn't machine wound brushed motors cog?
Drew.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.