Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 02:47 AM
Regional Moderator

hi dave, nice to see a team driver here
do you have any ashalt set-us for the SP......if you do post em here to compare....also have you tried the low friction belts in mod! and im exieriencing a lot of wear on my stock out-drives in mod...how can i solve this ?
thanks
Old 09-01-2001, 03:55 AM
Tech Addict

Outdrive wear problem-Use Black grease on the driveshaft head and pin.

What setups are you after? Modified on asphalt, with rubber or Foam tyres?
Old 09-01-2001, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

LOL @ Simon for the avatar!

Dave, so you are not on ozite? The day I tested it and came up with that setup, no-one else had been running on the track, so it wasn't quite warmed up to it's normal traction, maybe that's why. I'm just using the top deck that came with the special, I haven't touched it with the dremel. Thanks for the advice on the tires, I think I'll get some...You said HPI reds?

Speedo
Old 09-01-2001, 11:47 AM
TK
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Simon what kind of help do you need with stock motors?
Old 09-01-2001, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Malta - thx, I haven't run the SP on asphault. But man asphault is so much different from place to place. On most regular asphault tracks (parking lots), you'll run a softer setup with oil and springs. When you're a carpet racer, those Yellow springs stay in your pit box from the day you buy them (at least with the World's car). But If you find a balanced setup, many times you can just step down the setup equally and gain similar results that you had on the higher bite surface. I'd probably start with yellows and 30-40 weight on my SP on asphault. And as Simon said, some grease around the cross pin of our dogbone and in the outdrives will help with wear and tear. Maker sure to pack in as much black grease and you can fit in the Thrust bearings and your diffs will stay smooth and last much longer between rebuilds.

I converted my World's car and the new SP low friction belt was back ordered. Run that belt in the front and the standard World's low friction rear belt when running mod. The new belts have a shorter tooth profile. With the shift of the belts in the SP, the belt actally can rub on the bushing/bearing housing of your motor. Mine does slightly so I run the motor shim underneath. But the new rear belt isn't as critical to drag due to its length and it is not as durable as the previous low friction belt.

Speedo - yes, I do run on ozite. And yes HPI red inserts. They are just slightly firmer than the Yok Firms and have a slightly thicker profile. Red up front and Firm in back. If you don't get enough grip that way, try going Yok Firm front and Yok Medium back.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Dave,

Have you tried HPI greens in the front with reds in the back? We have found that the green/red combination provides the correct amount of variance on asphalt here, so it might be just the ticket for your carpet application. However, when the traction is good, I run greens all the way around. I tend to think running the inserts squared and tuning the suspension for the correct amount of rear traction is the more efficient way to tune, but hey, NASCAR runs different pressures in all 4 tires, so WTF do I know?!?! LOL....
Old 09-01-2001, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Dave, HPI reds are firmer than yok firms?? I thought the greens were the equivelent?

Simon, email me [email protected] and I can give you a whole bunch of tips to get your stockers to GO!

Speedo
Old 09-01-2001, 06:41 PM
Regional Moderator

HPI red inserts are softer than Yokomo firm inserts but has thicker profile...

Last edited by daniz24; 09-01-2001 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default HPI Red's

Opinions have always varied about this. I've been told that they are like 2 harder on a durometer and when they are mounted up, the Red's should be almost indistinguishable as to the difference in hardness. But with the slight added profile, they act differently and I say that they are a slight step firmer over all as to performance. HPI Greens are definitely harder than Yok firms IMHO. I've run Greens with Red's as well. Red and Red seems to carve harder in general. The Red / Firm setup gives the rear tire a little more gap which allows you to run a rear swaybar, and keep the backend planted.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default LOVE MY YOKE!!!!

I just started racing electric I raced nitro for two years.I bought the Yokomo worlds edition then upgraded to the Penguien Carbon Fiber chas. All I have to say thats the best handling car I have ever drove.

grinch77
Old 09-02-2001, 04:55 AM
Regional Moderator

grinch77 : Good for you, congrats !!!
Old 09-02-2001, 07:42 AM
Regional Moderator

10q dave+simon
our asphalt track is full grip full of friction and is very wide.........the latest craze with the yok drivers here is droop!......some of them are using amazingly long shock-shafts....but it seems to work!....im going to try it on monday....
and im using rubbers
Old 09-02-2001, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

johnbull finally convinced them huh? I run it with no droop, works well.

Speedo
Old 09-02-2001, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

What's the point of using all that droop? Are they scraping chassis with out the droop?
Old 09-02-2001, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Apparently is is easier to drive, which is understandable, but I use no droop, and it is not terribly hard to drive, pretty easy in fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.