Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR 2012 Electric Off-Road “Supernationals”

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It seems pretty clear to me that there are just too many classes. Some effort needs to be made to consolidate them.

I also find it pretty incredible that you can do two full days of qualifying, and then presumably only get one 'race' as a result of that if you are in a lower main.

If you do have 10,000 classes why not run them all one after the other, then there would be enough time for people to charge packs between bump-up finals.

At some point the balance between qualifying and racing at these large events has to shift back to racing. At the moment you travel half way around the country and you more than likely will only get to bang wheels with other racers once.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Long story short i hope this new setup isn't set in stone. I really hope roar thinks twice and changes this format back to the way it was ... Some things are just better left alone.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I am excited for the venue and the set up. Yes, I am biased for living in SoCal. While I will have to take time off work to participate, it is worth it.

I dont get to travel to race very often or very far away. I am not an upper tier driver, or even a mid tier (more like a moving obstacle), but have wanted to run in a National for a long time. This is the opportunity for me to participate in the hobby I love.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wow ....... it really seems like the only people benefiting from this are the Factory Teams and the Pros and the Joe racer gets the short end of the stick unless they live within 30 min of the track. I've been a ROAR supporter for 15+ years and have even worked to fight the good fight within ROAR. With ROAR membership sinking at an alarming rate you'd think ROAR would want to encourage more Joe racer participation not discourage it. The concept of what they are trying to do is good in principal just not a good execution and step backwards for everyone but the Factory Teams IMO.

As far as the east cost, west cost alternating that isn't in the rule book. You can only host the race where there are tracks biding and there are fewer tracks biding than ever. I hope this works for ROAR but a 9 day event in this economy???? I just don't see how ... good luck to ROAR.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Teambcw
Speak for yourself there.... Truck is not that slow here on the west coast, there are a good amount of people running it now and with the new Losi coming out in a matter of weeks its only going to get more popular.
Point taken.

Then have one of each class but make everything Open Class. After all it is a National Championship (a showcase of the Nations best) and not a club race. Do we need multiple "National Champ" titles for 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, Mod or whatever else is out there now. Sure, everybody wants to make the A Main, but again this is a National Championships...bring your A game.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
And I would add a new wrinkle: you need to qualify for any Nationals through a regional race. Each ROAR region would be allotted a certain number of spots based on their membership size - larger regions being allotted more spots than smaller regions. Then you race your designated ROAR regional, and have to finish in the top X to qualify for the Nationals. Or have two regionals and you take your best finish of the two, something along those lines. It should be a privilege to attend the Nationals, and this would make the events (including the regionals) a little more prestigious possibly. Just my 2 cents.

I kind of like that idea, puts some value on the regionals as well.

As for ROAR participation / membership declining, if that is the case I have often wondered if ROAR and the manufacturers need to get together and come up with a solution. Me, I am partial to the manufacturers including a voucher with each kit sold or that is ROAR legal for RTRs for a free 1 year membership to ROAR, and have info on ROAR membership benefits, track locator for ROAR tracks, etc.

Something I guess to get you to feel as if you are part of something bigger.

Anyway, as far as how the event will be run in question, I hope it works out.

Is 1/8 truck that big now? Heck, with some new offerings on the way, maybe 1/8 SCT can grow enough to be an event in the future.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teknorc
I'd rather it be split by scale (size) rather than electric or nitro (fuel source). Then 1/8th can race on a bigger track made for 1/8th scale. It will make it easier for tracks to bid on the race events if they don't have to accommodate both scales. It's not too late to change it.

2010 1/8th Electric Nationals was well attended. This year, not so much because it was in Nebraska (great facility BTW) which made it harder for a lot of companies and racers to attend just for 2 classes.

I think ROAR did a good thing here, but I think it's time it switched to the 1/10th Nationals and the 1/8th Nationals rather than the Electric Nationals and Fuel Nationals.
I'd have to agree with this, and then split it, run electric 1/8 first, then run nitro. That way the electric guys can run and be done and the ones that don't like running nitro can split. I think a national caliber event needs a national caliber track for 1/8th scale. I realize running 1/8th scale indoor has become very popular, but they always seem kinda caged up and limited to me. Like trying to run a thoroughbred in a warm up ring. And if it ever gets to the point that electric 1/8th scale is more popular than nitro, you can flip them and run nitro first, then electric. Could happen, who runs 1/10th nitro anymore? Is there even a 1/10 fuel nationals race?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Best idea in a long time! Works perfect for me. Less days total to be away, only one day of practice for EVERYONE! Practice will move faster without soooo many people and so many different vehicles.

Sure if you race sc or e8th AND 10th stuff you're kinda screwed, but there's always next year or other races!

This is the nationals for christ's sake and a worlds qualifying year for the U.S. Worlds at that!!! The only classes that really matter (2whl and 4whl buggy) !!

If you can't make the whole schedule, fine but don't boohoo about it! Man up or don't come! Sometimes you might actually have to make some sacrifices to things you love!!! Besides, no one I repeat, NO ONE actually cares who wins e8th or 4x4sc anyway!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey all: When I read this on the redrc site I thought this was a good idea to have all electric off road classes in one event ,but then as I read this thread a few things have we wavering a bit Such as taking that much time off work ,Cost issues and how to group the classes. Also in defense of R.O.A.R. this will only be the first year for this combined event so we will just have to wait and see what the non-factory driver list looks like because what ever R.O.A.R. decides the factory drivers will always be there as well as how the schedule that R.O.A.R. has come up with for this event will work out before we make any changes for future years. Glad to see so much new interest in electric racing ,but money issues always have a big role in how things are done. Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Point taken.

Then have one of each class but make everything Open Class. After all it is a National Championship (a showcase of the Nations best) and not a club race. Do we need multiple "National Champ" titles for 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, Mod or whatever else is out there now. Sure, everybody wants to make the A Main, but again this is a National Championships...bring your A game.
I like this idea better, run what you brung.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO E8 stuff should/could be run with the 1/8 nitro. I think e8 is still in the growing stages. While I see the point of running like power plants together I think it would be better from a track and vehicle set-up stand point to run by scale. Even though the track will be modified/changed unless it's a total rebuild i would think one group or the other won't get a track truly designed for their scale. Either way I'll be watching both on Live R/C!

Change isn't always bad even though most people hate change. Just work to find the best option before saying tough this is the way it's gonna be for the next 10 years.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me

And I would add a new wrinkle: you need to qualify for any Nationals through a regional race. Each ROAR region would be allotted a certain number of spots based on their membership size - larger regions being allotted more spots than smaller regions. Then you race your designated ROAR regional, and have to finish in the top X to qualify for the Nationals. .
This assumes that the top finishers at a given national would choose to go to Nationals or that the best racers in a region would even race regionals. I race in a very competitive region with a few recent National A-main qualifiers and many factory sponsored racers. None of them could even tell you when/where our regional races were held.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
This assumes that the top finishers at a given national would choose to go to Nationals or that the best racers in a region would even race regionals. I race in a very competitive region with a few recent National A-main qualifiers and many factory sponsored racers. None of them could even tell you when/where our regional races were held.
I hear you - I run in So-Cal, live 15 mins away from West Coast, and didn't even know the ROAR regionals was being held until two days before when I read it on a friend's facebook page. But, if ROAR adopts the system of using the Regionals as qualifiers for the Nationals, and they make it known and advertise it, then everyone who plans to or wants to do Nationals knows they need to show up at the Regionals. Fine, you qualified for Nats but don't want to go, your spot goes to the next fastest guy in your class and so on and so on. I ran the Fuel Nats this year at Thunder Alley, and there were guys there that sorry, but they didn't belong at a Nationals. Make the Regionals open to anyone, but you need to earn your spot for Nats by proving you're a top driver in your Region.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This means ROAR has seen the hand writing on the wall and their
trying to cover their azz's when the big change comes, or their trying
to head the change off" (which won't happen because Lipo's moving
forward in a big hurry)

Racers all around the world can see Nitro racing will die soon because Lipo
batteries are advancing very very quickly. The day is coming (very soon)
that 1/8th buggies & truggies will be able to run 30 minute mains then
45 minute mains and then 1 hour mains. Everyone knows when you can
run 30 minute E mains Nitro will start dieing pretty quickly.

So to me ROAR wants to combine the 2 so when Nitro dies off & electric
picks up it will make it less painful to everyone if both the dead E class
& the dead nitro class (at different times of course) are combined.

Of coures nothing they attempt to do will stop the fact nitro racing will
be totally replaced by electric off road racing completely very soon.

The hand writing is on the wall and just like every major change since
1980 in R/C racing lots of people have their head stuck in the sand &
other places. I've seen the changes over the years in R/C racing and
always found it funny how most racers & racing organisation's want to
ignore the fact big changes are coming wether they like it our not.

It appears ROAR maybe now has a good memory of the past and their
going to try to head off the death of nitro off road racing. To this I
say (I wish you good luck) because it is coming and no one can stop
it just like you can't stop the fact electric street cars will dominate our
streets very soon.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That's horse pooey Chuck. Nitro will always rule in 1/8 Buggy. E buggy is just too boring. I have nothing against E buggy, but it will always be second class to 1/8 nitro. The main reason 1/10 Nitro trucks died off is because they are too fragile for the Big tracks/jumps. Then the 1/8 trucks finished the class off. 1/8 buggy is a world wide class, the original Nitro class. It will take a major increase in fuel cost or government regs to shut it down. It is way too small of hobby for the government to mess with so I doubt that will happen.

This is about keeping Fuel Nats Fuel only, not Fuel and o ya some E buggies. RC Pro should do the same...too many freaking classes in rc pro events also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.