Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR 2012 Electric Off-Road “Supernationals”

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rob martin
Interesting. Read below. What do u guys/girls think?

The choices of how to accommodate all the classes that have emerged in recent years as lipo batteries and brushless motors have increased the popularity of electric racing, are limited and challenging. The Short Course categories added more entries to the already-popular Electric Off-Road Nationals, and the EP 1/8 buggies and trucks were either on their own, or adding too many entries to a sold out Fuel Off-Road Nationals. Having run the EP 1/8 Nationals for three years on its own, it’s clear that adequate attendance was difficult. The other two obvious choices to combine with 1/8 EP were already popular enough to sell out without the pressure of additional entries.

Through consultation with a number of drivers from all levels that are likely to attend, the ROAR Executive Committee establishes this year as the first of what is hopefully many to come – the “2012 Electric Off-Road Supernationals” as the best solution to accommodate all the classes in a manner that allows full participation in all classes, and gives the drivers enough time to participate in as few or as many classes as they desire. Below are the details of ROAR’s first Electric “Supernationals.” As you can see, the traditional classes of 2WD Buggy, 4WD Buggy, and 2WD Racing Truck, are run in the first half of the event with one day of practice, two days of qualifying, and the mains on the last day. Then, after a break to change and groom the track, practice will resume on Thursday, with two more days of qualifying and the mains on Sunday for the remaining classes.

This new format puts all the electric classes together in one event. This is a worlds qualifying year, so the drivers who place highest at this year’s nationals in 2WD and 4WD mod will earn invitations to the 2013 IFMAR World Championship, which will also be held in the USA. At the culmination of this event, there will be a break on Wednesday, and the second half of event will resume on Thursday and finish on Sunday.

Drivers who only want to compete in one half of the event won’t have more expenses than usual, but drivers that wish to participate in the entire event will spend far less than attending two separate events. ROAR hopes that, even though the event format will be new for everyone, that the long time and consideration taken to ensure that it’s done with the driver’s best interests in mind, will be the spirit in which it’s received.

Track: West Coast RC Raceway
15905 Canary Ave., La Mirada, CA 90638
[email protected]
www.westcoastrcraceway.com

Schedule: August 11 – 19

Classes:

2WD buggy stock
2WD Buggy Modified
4WD Buggy Modified
2WD Truck Stock
2WD Truck Modified

1st Half Schedule

Saturday 8/11/12 – practice
Sunday, 8 /12/12 – day one, qualifying
Monday, 8/13/12 – day two, qualifying
Tuesday, 8/14/12 – Mains

Wednesday 8/15/12 – Day Off

Classes:

SC Buggy Pro Spec – Provisional, only stock drivers, no sponsored drivers
2WD SC Truck Stock
2WD SC Truck Modified
4WD SC Truck Modified
1/8 EP Buggy
1/8 EP Truck

2nd Half Schedule:

Thursday, 8/16/12 – Practice
Friday, 8/17/12 – Qualifying
Saturday, 8/18/12 – Qualifying
Sunday, 8/19/12 – Mains

Source: www.roarracing.com
It would probably be a better idea to have 1/8 elec run with the 1/8 nitro's instead of with 1/10 elec
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

A new record high for worst idea by ROAR!!

Most people who run multiple classes usually run them all mod or all stock.
Example: Stock Buggy, Stock 2WD Truck, Stock SC Truck

The idea should be to make a National easier for the average race to attend not harder.

Also West Coast does not even run 1/8 scale at club races or practice days.

The track is too small for real 1/8 scale racing.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think there should be that many classes at the national championships, or that 1/8th scale should be raced on a 1/10th track or vise-versa, but...

if your trying to get every form of electric off-road in one race, its a great idea.

missed the mini-eight classes though.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Start axing classes....How many kinds of trucks really need to be raced? Let 2wd Stadium Truck die a dignified death already. Those guys would then convert to SC Truck instead. Also a Pro Spec class? Come on why bother? Kill off Stock SCT as well.

Classes should just be:

2wd Buggy Stock (I would personally kill off this class too and just have 2wd Mod/Open Class)
2wd Buggy Mod
4wd Buggy Mod

2wd SCT Open
4wd SCT Open
8th Buggy
8th Truck

There you go 7 classes instead of 11...HOURS of your day/life back and more people in the classes instead of thinning things out. You can't cater to everyone. Make the tough decisions and racers will have to follow if they want to race. Ok rant over...haha
Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Start axing classes....How many kinds of trucks really need to be raced? Let 2wd Stadium Truck die a dignified death already. Those guys would then convert to SC Truck instead. Also a Pro Spec class? Come on why bother? Kill off Stock SCT as well.

Classes should just be:

2wd Buggy Stock (I would personally kill off this class too and just have 2wd Mod/Open Class)
2wd Buggy Mod
4wd Buggy Mod

2wd SCT Open
4wd SCT Open
8th Buggy
8th Truck

There you go 7 classes instead of 11...HOURS of your day/life back and more people in the classes instead of thinning things out. You can't cater to everyone. Make the tough decisions and racers will have to follow if they want to race. Ok rant over...haha
Let the congregation say Amen.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalMitch
Most people who run multiple classes usually run them all mod or all stock.
Example: Stock Buggy, Stock 2WD Truck, Stock SC Truck

The idea should be to make a National easier for the average race to attend not harder.
+1 to this as well. The more I think about it, the more it seems that ROAR didn't....
Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default AE Is Killer Of All......

+1
Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I prefer to stay away from 1/8 and don't want to corner for them
BUT I run 4x4 and 2wd SC only..........
Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I'm more upset it's on the west coast again... I can't afford to travel by plane and stay out there over a week!

For all the talk in the onroad forum about cutting costs at big races it doesn't quite seem to follow into this decision.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
It would probably be a better idea to have 1/8 elec run with the 1/8 nitro's instead of with 1/10 elec
I have to agree with this. I'd rather it be split by scale (size) rather than electric or nitro (fuel source). Then 1/8th can race on a bigger track made for 1/8th scale. It will make it easier for tracks to bid on the race events if they don't have to accommodate both scales. It's not too late to change it.

2010 1/8th Electric Nationals was well attended. This year, not so much because it was in Nebraska (great facility BTW) which made it harder for a lot of companies and racers to attend just for 2 classes.

I think ROAR did a good thing here, but I think it's time it switched to the 1/10th Nationals and the 1/8th Nationals rather than the Electric Nationals and Fuel Nationals.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
I'm more upset it's on the west coast again... I can't afford to travel by plane and stay out there over a week!

For all the talk in the onroad forum about cutting costs at big races it doesn't quite seem to follow into this decision.
Unfortunately if you saw ROAR membership numbers, guess where 60% of the racers are from though. You bet, it's the west coast.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I dunno, I may have attended this if it was at the Tiltyard.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teknorc
I have to agree with this. I'd rather it be split by scale (size) rather than electric or nitro (fuel source). Then 1/8th can race on a bigger track made for 1/8th scale. It will make it easier for tracks to bid on the race events if they don't have to accommodate both scales. It's not too late to change it.

2010 1/8th Electric Nationals was well attended. This year, not so much because it was in Nebraska (great facility BTW) which made it harder for a lot of companies and racers to attend just for 2 classes.

I think ROAR did a good thing here, but I think it's time it switched to the 1/10th Nationals and the 1/8th Nationals rather than the Electric Nationals and Fuel Nationals.
I'm sure what you are proposing was considered but the Nitro Nats has more people that want to attend than they have room for so adding Electric would never work. Also I only run electric and hate sitting around a gas track listening to the rut-ruts run while I wait for for my five minutes of track time.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy

Classes should just be:

2wd Buggy Mod
4wd Buggy Mod

2wd SCT Open
4wd SCT Open
8th Buggy
8th Truck

Speak for yourself there.... Truck is not that slow here on the west coast, there are a good amount of people running it now and with the new Losi coming out in a matter of weeks its only going to get more popular.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't agree with what ROAR has done here. The premier class of this event, which is arguably 2wd Mod Buggy, is now running mains on a Tuesday? Sorry, but if the 1/8 EP Nationals cannot hold their own, they should die off. Can they even fit 1/8 EP Truggies on the West Coast track? It's already been posted but West Coast does not allow 1/8 vehicles there anymore. And they still pull 80+ entries on weeknights for club races, so clearly the 1/8 EP crowd is not that big.

Here is what I would do:

--Replace the 1/8 EP Nats with the Short Course Nats. All things SC, pure and simple.
--Keep the 1/10th EP Nats as they were, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And I would add a new wrinkle: you need to qualify for any Nationals through a regional race. Each ROAR region would be allotted a certain number of spots based on their membership size - larger regions being allotted more spots than smaller regions. Then you race your designated ROAR regional, and have to finish in the top X to qualify for the Nationals. Or have two regionals and you take your best finish of the two, something along those lines. It should be a privilege to attend the Nationals, and this would make the events (including the regionals) a little more prestigious possibly. Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.