Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi vs. tekno

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I looked at both, I went with the Losi hands down after reading everything about both......
Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Tekno Kit

Aaaah What is Traktion?

Are we simply talking about the elctric clutch setup verison 2??

I have this system and the court is still out on whether the clutch will eliminate

heat. I am finding that the clutch seems more efficient for braking issues,

(3rd channel for servo brakes works great) But, I feel the clutch itself

generates heat which is transferred through the shaft. I find trying to get rid

of the excessive heat from braking is a good, but, the clutch in itself creates

a lot of heat. I chose to use a very very soft spring in order to allow less

slipping of the clutch.

I have gone back to the straight shaft for now. I blew up my Tekin Exc after

1 weekend, then blew up my castle (Castle didn't blow up, just simply

stopped working. Go figure.

Anyway, If someone could tell me what is better about the 2.0 version of the

Tekno kit and will it on a 1.0 buggy.

My problem is the way the Lexan body fits.

I originally put on the Nitro body. That really sucked. Broke it in 1 weekend

Then I tried he E-2.0 body which I am currently using. Works but, doesn't

fit the best. I have a J-Concepts body which I actually think won't work.

It looks good, but, I think the fit is not right.

I wish Tekno would make their own body for their conversion kits.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Aaaah What is Traktion?

Are we simply talking about the elctric clutch setup verison 2??

I have this system and the court is still out on whether the clutch will eliminate

heat. I am finding that the clutch seems more efficient for braking issues,

(3rd channel for servo brakes works great) But, I feel the clutch itself

generates heat which is transferred through the shaft. I find trying to get rid

of the excessive heat from braking is a good, but, the clutch in itself creates

a lot of heat. I chose to use a very very soft spring in order to allow less

slipping of the clutch.

I have gone back to the straight shaft for now. I blew up my Tekin Exc after

1 weekend, then blew up my castle (Castle didn't blow up, just simply

stopped working. Go figure.

Anyway, If someone could tell me what is better about the 2.0 version of the

Tekno kit and will it on a 1.0 buggy.

My problem is the way the Lexan body fits.

I originally put on the Nitro body. That really sucked. Broke it in 1 weekend

Then I tried he E-2.0 body which I am currently using. Works but, doesn't

fit the best. I have a J-Concepts body which I actually think won't work.

It looks good, but, I think the fit is not right.

I wish Tekno would make their own body for their conversion kits.
Traktion drive is the new clutch with loaded springs.. the drive is always engaged.. you can adjust up or down w/ spring tension to what feel you like. This setup does not require 3rd channel, doesn't require mechanical brakes unless you want them of course. This option even when used with out mechanical brakes gives you a limited slip to protect your drive train and differentials.. as well as early wear on your center drive shafts.

The 2.0 kit isn't that much different than the 1.0 kit other than it DOES ALLOW USE OF STANDARD PINIONS (no long shank needed as someone was complaining about above). It also has a lowered battery tray for the lowest COG of any setup and TONS lower than the losi kit. The version tekno 2.0 is longer just like the losi 2.0 and has tweaked geometry in the steering from my understanding. The 2.0 version has small screw holes where the losi droop adjustment screws set so you can swap out when they wear down (make sure you put some in).

To make a losi 1.0 fit on the tekno 2.0 kit, you just need to buy the rear center cvd.

On EVERY version of the 8ight buggy tekno kit you will need to shave the radio tray down, I use my dremel tool and cut it in half. If you want more of a mud guard than stock I always mount the losi fuel guard on the esc tray to keep all mud/water off the ESC. You do also need to dremel away some material on the center rear diff mount if you use the traktion drive or clutch. These all take seconds to do.

PS I no longer use the large 2200 1y castle motor, I'm using a lektron 2200kv motor that is like 30% smaller and lighter and is a beast in this buggy.. great feeling and awesome on 4s lipos.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)

so how does the whole mech break work?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neobart
I was very close to choosing a tekno conversion for my buggy, decided against it though. There was just too many little things you as the end user would have to do to make it work, like cutting down the radi plate so a body can fit, sideguards that don't cover right in front of the ESC. The electri clutch idea goes against the whole idea of electric, IMO it's made for nitro throttle jockeys. Mechanical brakes might be nice, but I prefer the K.I.S.S. approach. Another thing I don't like is the use of long shank pinions, I prefer to have the the pinion running as close to the motor as possible(Archimedes).
Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
I looked at both, I went with the Losi hands down after reading everything about both......

Losi Hands up is imo the best way to go.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

If u never tried a Tekno, u can not comment. I've had the losi conversion and it's garbage IMO. I went through THREE battery trays. And I tried motor brake and I hated it. Basically, it's your preference. We are all different people who all like different things. So you will see different opinions.

But get a Tekno
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Lord

Three trays something's up if your breaking them....How exactly were they failing.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Three trays something's up if your breaking them....How exactly were they failing.
i agree.........curious as well to know how/where they were breaking......
Old 09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Bad crash. The tray could not take the the force of the lipo durning ruff crashes. I have heard a number of the same case.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

I run big 5000mah 6 cell packs in my Losi truggy conversion with zero problems so far.

Isnt going to electric to make it simpler so not having the extra servo, not having a clutch appeals to me..also like how the Losi conversion protects the receiver in the std box..very tidy.. so LOSI all the way
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malcnz
I run big 5000mah 6 cell packs in my Losi truggy conversion with zero problems so far.

Isnt going to electric to make it simpler so not having the extra servo, not having a clutch appeals to me..also like how the Losi conversion protects the receiver in the std box..very tidy.. so LOSI all the way

My idea of 'simpler' is never having motor and ESC issues, not having drive line or broken parts from running direct drive (warn gears and rear diff issues) Dropping it on the track and running well all season with minimal work. I'm 1.5yrs w/ my 8ight-t tekno version, same esc, same motor.. I use to run the direct drive, 3 rear diff gears and 150 dollars later, I swapped to the clutch/traktion drive. Notice I also use a traxxas water tight radio box in my conversion where the ESC box normally sits on the tekno conversion, ESC is on a plate 'free floating' w/ double layer of 3m HD 2way tape and a zip tie. Imo your asking for trouble (and will find it in time) in a truggy if you don't run the traktion drive, clutch or the RC-Monster "slipperential".

Last edited by 8ight-e; 09-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Fair enough..
I did look at the Tekno system but as I stated liked the simplicity of the Losi system(I am a tidy freak) ..8th electric offroad is a sideline for me as I race it with the nitros and I also have a nitro truggy and buggy so it will never get the use of the Nitro as they dont give me points and will most likely run my new EU buggy for a while now but if it does become a solid class here which I can see it becoming I may look again at the Tekno
Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Lord

If your blowing Ring and pinion's your Not shimming the rear diff properly Plain and simple.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm not a big fan of ebuggy but I do like the idea of having brakes and a clutch f you're gonna run it
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
If your blowing Ring and pinion's your Not shimming the rear diff properly Plain and simple.
I had it shimmed, but i did just move to the 2.0 rear diff housing for all my 8ights, not that I've ever had an issue in my buggy, just the truggy. Anyway the new 2.0 housing is suppose to have fixed this issue, or at least so I was told and yes the 1.0 shocktowers and all bolt right up zero issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.