Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best R/C for a 6 yr old?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best R/C for a 6 yr old?

Ok my sons 6 and 4yr got a New Bright r/C for x-mas. Well in the street they run slow but ok, in the grass barely move....so after seen daddy's modified slash 4x4 runing around...well they want daddy's truck...not happening....
So which could be a good option for them? i was thinking on the Duratrax Evader EXT cause it seems they last along time and can take a beating, free parts replacement for 1 year and they are a little slow. Is it a good option or any other one? I kinda want to stay on the 1/10 scale.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would say a stock 2wd Slash. My son ( 8yrs old ) has had his for almost a year. He runs it on the street and at the local track. Very solid, he has yet to break anything. For the first little while I turned the ESC setting to training.

Very good first RC imo.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Another vote for a Traxxas truck of some type. I got my 4 year old a Stampede with the XL-5 waterproof electronics and set it to training mode (50% power). It has enough guts to get through the grass and is plenty fast enough for him until I decide to turn it up.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ya, Traxxas slash in training mode or a cheap rock crawler.

I bought a Losi Micro Rock Crawler for my 4 year old daughter and she loves it. It's slow and will crawl over all sorts of stuff in the house. The only problem is that her hands are too small to hold the remote properly.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Slash 2wd hands down. Will looks like "Dad's" and they are bulletproof. My 7yo has yet to break his and he absolutely bashes the snot out of it. Worst that he has ever done was pop the shock caps off.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I was thinking on the Slash for them, but it is still pretty fast even on the 50%. Just not sure if they will be able to handle it. But I guess i can ask at the LBS to try one out and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My friend's son is 4 years old and he is very competitive with his Slash in the Novice class. (often wins) He was racing 2wd, but recently his dad bought them both 4x4s. Now he is just cleaning up.

It helps if you have a radio with exponential so you can remove a lot of the punch and top end... or a programmable esc.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (99%+)

I'd say 2wd slash as well. Gear it way down, long run times and the speed will be under control. I'd stay away from the stadium truck since they suck for bashing. Break too easily, and they don't go through the grass as good as a slash does. Stampede wouldn't be bad, but it won't transition into racing like a Slash would.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My now 7 year old has been racing an HPI Blitz since Christmas and has yet to break anything.. and he's hard on equipment.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I was asking the same question of a guy at a local track. He had a few sons running different vehicle. His youngest, I think was about 5 years old and was running a Traxxas Rustler. The father said it was the perfect trainer vehicle because it is durable, and uses many of the parts from the Slash which his other kids run.

His son was basically doing full throttle everywhere donuts, banging into stuff, etc. The tires were balding because he just holds it on so much all of the time.

I let my 7 year old daughter run my stock SC10 RTR at the park. I just turn down the throttle ATV and use a Nimh pack. She does pretty good with it. Only complaint is the controller is a bit too large for her hands, so she has trouble using the throttle correctly. I make sure she has a lot of space, because she doesn't exercise much control. LOL

I'll be buying her a car for her birthday in April, so I'll be really interested in what recommendations are posted in this thread.

ben
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have two slashes, we used for rentals at our track last summer. My 4&5 year old grandkids drive them in the parking lot on training mode, and my 9yr old (8 last summer) raced one in our novice class and won the season series with it. No better car to start out with, IMO.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

What about the 1/16th 4x4 Slash? I don't know anything about them, but seems like that size would be good for small kids. Especially if they aren't racing.

ben
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Initiate

The 1/16th with the brushed motor wouldnt be bad but I would go with the full size Slash. I bought one for my 3yr olds birthday back in September and he loves it. Its just like Daddy's. I put a 16tooth pinion on it, set the esc to training mode and it works perfect. Its big enough to run through the grass at home and then when we are at the track he runs his in between our races. With the big bumpers and body he can beat the crap out of it and not hurt a thing.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

HHmmm well the Stampede sounds a good option as well. Not sure if they are into the racing deal anyway. Our racing track is 2 hours drive and is only for SC trucks. So I think the kids will have more fun with a Pede that they can use all over the park and stuff and not to worry about getting stuck in leaf or others as will a slash...maybe...what do you think?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snakemau
HHmmm well the Stampede sounds a good option as well. Not sure if they are into the racing deal anyway. Our racing track is 2 hours drive and is only for SC trucks. So I think the kids will have more fun with a Pede that they can use all over the park and stuff and not to worry about getting stuck in leaf or others as will a slash...maybe...what do you think?
I don't have any experience with either, but from watching YouTube videos, the Rustler looks like a better choice than the Stampede.

ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.