Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho ZX-5 SP or FS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Kyosho ZX-5 SP or FS?

Whats the difference between these two kits? I know the FS had a slightly bigger wheelbase. but otherwise is one more competative than the other? does one come with more upgraded parts than the other?

And lastly do they come with tires or no?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Moogumby
Whats the difference between these two kits? I know the FS had a slightly bigger wheelbase. but otherwise is one more competative than the other? does one come with more upgraded parts than the other?

the fs in my opinion is a nicer driving car with the motor position up front it allows the car to turn with ease also the saddles let it fly alot smoother
Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They're very similar cars, parts-wise, since they both have the same suspension.

IMO (I have both) -- the SP is way easier to work on and parts are more common. I honestly haven't run the FS much, because I don't have any decent saddles...some people swear by them...some swear at them...LOL.

I think that for most people, it comes down to convenience (stick format and easy to get parts) versus the (maybe) 5% better stability the FS offers. I run my SP all the time...the FS hardly ever.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Unless your a pro who needs a very slight advantage to win the million dollar championship,,,,,

The main differnece for us regular guys is running saddle packs or stick packs.

Personally I would stay with the stick pack buggy, I hated spending and extra $130 on saddles for my b44 and cant use them in anything else that I own.

At least with the stick pack it can go in my 10T and B3
Old 05-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

100% agree, stick pack is the way to go if you already have other R/C's, or even plan to get another R/C after the 4wd buggy. Besides 4wd buggy, nothing else in the R/C industry uses saddle packs anymore. Yes, the car will be more balanced with a saddle out of the box, but a stick pack racer can be balanced too, a little lead weight, a weighted battery are all thats needed.
I have a SP right now and its a great car, it really surprised me. I did have a B44 last year, and this K-car is more than capable of keeping up. My AE car broke front end parts too easily IMO, hopefully the SP will be different.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

It all comes down to what level you are competing at. At my track their are quite a few talented drivers that I have to race against who use the best equipment so I need the best buggy I afford to compete. I can actually feel the difference between the better balanced saddle pack verses stick and prefer the saddle version. Now I know you can pack on weight on the stick pack cars to balance but who wants a heavy buggy. I sure dont. Now if you are the type that is just getting his teeth wet the extra convinence is worth it especially being able to switch batteries around to different cars. Both are competetive just usually the saddle pack layout is a little more consistant lap wise.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think it's quite that clear-cut. I know guys who are undoubtedly better than you (not naming names...LOL) who prefer the SP for different reasons. I'm not saying you're not good...I'm saying that the guys I know here are top-level guys...A/B main regional/national level guys,

I know at least one really dialed guy who had trouble getting the FS to turn as well as the SP. When I have driven the FS, I absolutely love it...it's just not worth going back to NiMh again and I haven't found a saddle Lipo I feel like investing in. I got the kit for cheap and converted my spare SP, so it makes a nice shelf queen...LOL
Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

As for not wanting a heavier weighted buggy, many, including my self, use weights on the b44, with lipos, just to add the extra weight for traction.

Though I do not know first hand, I can only assume that on the stick pack cars, you would add weight on the side of the battery, versus saddle pack cars where you add the weight on the rear of the buggy.

I would like to think that overall weight would be identical, when adding weight, its just that the added weight would be in a differnt location.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

A lot of nonsense in this thread.

You can use saddle packs in your other cars if its NiMh. If its lipo thats different, but I havent ever tried it. The FS gives you better weight distribution, a longer chassis, and more steering.

Those who cant tell the difference between an SP and an FS are, sadly to say, just not good enough to notice the differences. No offense.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Moogumby

No
Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i had a sp. i though it was ok just didnt seem to fly right over the triples, and understeered alittle bit plus it seemed alittle to fragile to. so i sold it and got a b44 with a saddle lipo and i love it, it feels lighter and more well balanced and flys through the air real nice. but if u like the stick pack stick with the sp
Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K_King
A lot of nonsense in this thread.
Maybe you should go hang in another thread where there are a higher class of drivers.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Maybe you should go hang in another thread where there are a higher class of drivers.
You again? I thought you dropped that months ago, apparently not.

How about this? I will hang out where I please, and your so called higher class drivers were the ones who used YOUR product and gave it attention at the Nats. Try not to forget about that ok?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K_King
You again? I thought you dropped that months ago, apparently not.

How about this? I will hang out where I please, and your so called higher class drivers were the ones who used YOUR product and gave it attention at the Nats. Try not to forget about that ok?
I'm just saying that there was a pretty reasonable discussion going on before you got here...in fact, I think most of what you said had already been said. When you say it it's right, but when someone else says it...it's "nonsense"?

I made the hubs for fun...we did well with them at the nats (6 of 10 in the "A" ran mine...)...I don't recall if you ran one or not, but really...it doesn't really matter to much to me either way. Thanks if you did...thanks if you didn't. All of the fast guys had them and kicked ass. It was a lot of fun.

Feel free to talk all the smack you like...I'll be back later this week. I gotta go fix a water tank up north. wooooohooooo....
Old 05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I'm just saying that there was a pretty reasonable discussion going on before you got here...in fact, I think most of what you said had already been said. When you say it it's right, but when someone else says it...it's "nonsense"?

I made the hubs for fun...we did well with them at the nats (6 of 10 in the "A" ran mine...)...I don't recall if you ran one or not, but really...it doesn't really matter to much to me either way. Thanks if you did...thanks if you didn't. All of the fast guys had them and kicked ass. It was a lot of fun.
The nonsense portion was you really.

They're very similar cars, parts-wise, since they both have the same suspension.

IMO (I have both) -- the SP is way easier to work on and parts are more common. I honestly haven't run the FS much, because I don't have any decent saddles...some people swear by them...some swear at them...LOL.

I think that for most people, it comes down to convenience (stick format and easy to get parts) versus the (maybe) 5% better stability the FS offers. I run my SP all the time...the FS hardly ever.

First you say they are similar, parts wise, yet the SP has more parts common? That makes no sense. The ONLY thing that changed on the cars are the chassis and layout. The entire front and rear clips are the same. So how does the SP have more parts than the FS available, especially since they share EVERYTHING minus a few things in the middle?

5% better stability is also an awfully odd number you came up with. The FS not only jumps better, it steers better and handles the bumps better, hence my comment that if you cant tell the difference you just arent good enough. If that were true, just tell them to get a normal ZX and dont spend money on the SP or FS since it will only be 5% different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.