Wiki Posts
Search

8th Excelorin Firmware

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default 8th Excelorin Firmware

Have got my 8th ready to go and the stock settings seem fine to me, is there any good reason to try to upgrade the firmware? Does it make much difference?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Which firmware do you have? The latest one does clean up a lot of rough edges.

Why *not* do it? It's not like it takes more than a couple minutes or costs anything. You have everything you need and the file is right on the losi.com site.

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Have got my 8th ready to go and the stock settings seem fine to me, is there any good reason to try to upgrade the firmware? Does it make much difference?
EDIT: Are you talking about changing the settings...or the firmware?

The firmware is like the operating system. You could upgrade the firmware and leave the original settings the same. I don't really mess with mine much...mostly I add a little drag brake to make it act more "electric"...LOL

The firmware is behind the scenes. Yes...update the firmware if you don't have the current version.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

My hesitation is recently on a couple of forums I've seen a few people say they're 10th esc has died while updating, and they've had to send it off, wasn't sure if anyone had the same issues with the 8th stuff!?

Cheers for clarifying the difference between the firmware and the settings!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

It was pretty easy to update. You just download it, hit the button that says "update firmware" and browse for the file...

You gotta take what you read on these forums with a grain of salt. Many people try to "fix" a wounded ESC with updated firmware and that's not gonna have a good result very often.

Besides that -- you don't tend to hear from the hundreds of people that *don't* have problems...only the five that do have problems.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say go ahead and update, it won't change the fact that the system is unreliable. I've had 3 ESCs, 2 Motors, two rotors in that second motor, and 5 incarnations of the software. If you get the opportunity, SELL IT, and get a system that works. I've had it with Xcelerin. It's cost me several races, and so many head aches, that if it weren't for my Castle powered truggy, I would've given up on brushless 8th scale altogether.

P.S. There are FIVE of us just here locally that had them take a dump on race day. No telling how many countless others there are that don't surf this forum, and just gave up the first time their $1,000 + investment just crapped out on them.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah...we get it...you don't like it...you haven't had any luck with it...it's the biggest pile of crap ever. We all know by now. Some people haven't had the bad luck you have. In fact, some people have actually had pretty good luck with them. Maybe mine will end up dying at some point, but as of now, I'm one of the guys who finishes all the time...so I'm plenty good with it.

Regardless, I didn't really try to turn this thread into a "my ESC is better than yours" thread. He was worried about updating his software and he doesn't need to to be. It does help with a few little things here and there and it is pretty easy...and I'm glad you like your Castle. ( <<=== no sarcasm intended whatsoever)

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-13-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I really like the losi 1/8 system. Mine was undriveable until i updated it to the most current version off the losi website. My only complaint is the mid air performance. It is too easy to drop the nose 90 degrees and then for some reason when you gun the throttle to bring the nose up it doesn't really help at all. The system seems to be really smooth but it can be difficult when you want to drop the nose for a landing the car over reacts and then you can't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem? I would stick with the Losi system there customer service is FANTASTIC!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

On the jump issue I guess several things could cause that!?

Nothing in the instructions says how to unplug the esc from the computer, ie do you unit then turn off the programme in the pc, or turn the programme off first then unplug!? I assume it doesn't matter!?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think it matters a bit...

Originally Posted by DaveG28
On the jump issue I guess several things could cause that!?

Nothing in the instructions says how to unplug the esc from the computer, ie do you unit then turn off the programme in the pc, or turn the programme off first then unplug!? I assume it doesn't matter!?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Yeah...we get it...you don't like it...you haven't had any luck with it...it's the biggest pile of crap ever. We all know by now. Some people haven't had the bad luck you have. In fact, some people have actually had pretty good luck with them. Maybe mine will end up dying at some point, but as of now, I'm one of the guys who finishes all the time...so I'm plenty good with it.

Regardless, I didn't really try to turn this thread into a "my ESC is better than yours" thread. He was worried about updating his software and he doesn't need to to be. It does help with a few little things here and there and it is pretty easy...and I'm glad you like your Castle. ( <<=== no sarcasm intended whatsoever)
Whoa man, don't discount me so quickly. I'm not alone, and until recently, I had allot of help from a guy at Horizon.(AFAIK, he no longer works there, and I can imagine why) We tried everything to get it to work, and it still doesn't. It would run for while, do something strange, then quit working entirely. Right now, I can turn it on, the fan goes, the steering servo works, but I have ZERO THROTTLE RESPONSE... it's a $330.00 paper weight! There's also 4 other people at my track that ALL had problems with them, they pretty much ALL FAILED.

So if you're thinking about Xcelerin, AVOID IT, get something that works.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Who's discounting you? I had one die...big deal, they fixed it for me and it's been great since.

They all die here and there. All of them. If the Castle works for you...good...the Losi works for me and lots of people around here.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Guys the Xcelorin 8th scale esc did HAVE have a problem as it turns out in the software that given the right conditions failed the FETs. The latest software version available on the download site not only has that issue corrected but some enhancements that everyone should like. If you have the esc check to make sure you have the latest version, if your esc came in the 2.0E it is already updated.

the motors have been very strong and there were a few in the first batch that had a rotor problem.

Since the software update reliability has been very good.

Thanks Turbo!!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rocketron
Thanks Turbo!!
We miss you Ron...
Old 05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Sylvéris

I have this ESC, and I have sent it to Horizon !
It has smoked when I have turned the switch on, and I can say that I had'nt any wire issue...Don't understand what happend ? It was new and has ran only 3 packs, I had the firmware updated, but I have changed of radio when it happened and I think to a conflict between The Fail Safe Function of the Radio and the Fail Safe Function of the Esc. Horizon said me they will send me a new one, but I have asked them about this possible conflict, but not had any answer...
All of us, guys, can't say if this Xcelorin 1/8 ESC is better or not as an MMM ! Don't you remember the MMM V1 and V2 ?
This is the first version for the Xcelorin 1/8 ESC.
I'm French, and I have seen on a French forum many problems with all ESC brands. In fact I agree with all of your comments, but let us test again those ESC during this 2009 year. Then we will see, but I think I will order a MMM V3 if I have an other issue with the Xcelorin. French users ar now testing the Schulze Fut-l-24.150WK, and with success for instant :
http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/fut-xxl-d.htm
Note that the only reliable ESC I have heard about, are ones without fan, like Quark125b...and Schulze...it's crazy !
Bye !
My eRC8 :
http://sylveris.free.fr/Serie2.html

Old 05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rocketron
Guys the Xcelorin 8th scale esc did HAVE have a problem as it turns out in the software that given the right conditions failed the FETs. The latest software version available on the download site not only has that issue corrected but some enhancements that everyone should like. If you have the esc check to make sure you have the latest version, if your esc came in the 2.0E it is already updated.

the motors have been very strong and there were a few in the first batch that had a rotor problem.

Since the software update reliability has been very good.

Thanks Turbo!!
Mine was in the E2.0 but the firmware wasn't up to date? Is it the firmware you mean as an update?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.