Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Would you buy..........Carbon Fiber Slash chassis? >

Would you buy..........Carbon Fiber Slash chassis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you buy..........Carbon Fiber Slash chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I would be up for it (price dependant). My Slash is already modified, so a CF chassis sounds awesome.

Your buddy up for other chassis in CF? Even if they are one-offs?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Depends on what you have and how difficult it is to mold. This is all based on molding a factory part and improving upon it. You can PM me with what you got and we'll talk.

Price like I said will probably be comparable to the Xtreme Racing chassis sold on RC Planet. http://www.rcplanet.com/Xtreme_Racin...tr10620abk.htm

That chassis isn't legal anywhere in spec classes. I am working on getting this CF chassis as a spec replacement part with our local shops and then abroad. This is very possible due to the fact that this chassis is a direct copy of the factory traxxas chassis except it doesn't say traxxas, and its stronger.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

truthfully i think this will be a great product for the industry.
in all seriousness, how many spec classes like the slash last for more than a couple of years? when the spec craze for this truck dies off, this could be great for an open slash class
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You also have to take the rigidity of the chassis into consideration. A carbon fiber chassis (and more specifically a molded carbon fiber chassis) is going to be alot more stiff than the stock chassis. This may make the truck handle better, thus creating an unfair advantage for someone who doesn't have one of the chassis. Of coarse it could have an adverse effect on handling too, remember everyone puts the plastic chassis on a B4 because the carbon one was to stiff and made the car too twitchy. I also heard the aluminum hubs on the TRF 501X Worlds Edition made the car handle different than the stock plastic ones. I guess only testing will tell. Also if its a half ounce lighter that is another advantage in a class where everyone runs the same motors. Less weight to push means faster acceleration and higher top speed. Yeah a half ounce might not make a huge difference, but its all the little things that you can do within the rules added up that make a BIG difference. Lets say you have a guy that has done every little thing within the rules to his slash (Broke the motor in, Good setup, Geared perfect, Aluminum pinion, Aluminum axel nuts, and all the other little things you can do to the truck within the rules). Now whether he put a carbon fiber chassis on his truck or not that truck is going to be fast. But lets say he puts that carbon fiber chassis on his truck. Now he goes out and wins and anyone who doesn't know that he did all of that small un-noticeable stuff is going to see that carbon fiber chassis and think "oh thats why his truck is so fast, I have to get one of those carbon fiber chassis to be competitive". Spec racing is just like any non spec class, the best drivers are still going to do the best, in non spec racing its about skill and cubic dollars, in spec racing its about skill. I say make the chassis, and if you can get it spec'd locally great, if it catches on nationally, even better. Like others have said, there are alot of bashers that love to build the ultamate (insert whatever vehicle here), so if you can provide something that isn't the stock chassis, people will buy it. Good Luck with this and hopefully I will see the chassis on Redrc.net.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I am not commenting on the need for the chassis, but on your side topic, you said

This is very possible due to the fact that this chassis is a direct copy of the factory traxxas chassis except it doesn't say traxxas, and its stronger.
But then you said

Don't want to reveal a design till its patented. Patent work is being done now.
How do those 2 quotes go together?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Why would you post a thread asking if people would buy it - then argue with those that say "no"? These people make great points - the majority of people racing a Slash are in a spec class where they will not be legal. Say what you want about trying to get it "approved", but it would never be allowed in a spec class by a race director that knows what he's doing.

Also a big part of the Slash class appeal is to spend $200 on a RTR setup and have the potential to be competitive. Given the size of the Slash chassis I would expect a CF replacement to cost at least half of the cost of rtr set, so there goes a large part of the target customers.

It would sell, mod or open Slash class is gaining some popularity around here and some people use the aluminum chassis for this. I just wouldn't expect it to sell a lot.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

^ Ha ha.. probably not a good idea to talk about it all until the patent is done. Either way. Any spec class that allows this isn't a spec class. Still shouldn't matter though, if you build it, odds are someone will buy it.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

First off I will believe it when I see it.
If this thread is anything like the post he made on the Slash set-up thread it is all BS. I will believe it when I see it, since I Beat him 6 out of 7 races and had the fastest lap times with 4 heat wins and 1 A-Main, and he did not win the other A-main, but took me out a couple times due to his driving. I also beat him with a broken rear bearing carrier in the 3rd heat. I led the race that way untill the last lap were the drive shaft finally failed, and I ended up with 2nd.
If in fact he does come out with one, there is no way in hell that it should be legal in spec racing. Maybe it would be cool on a tank Slash like the one he showed up with at the races that was all aluminum and was slower than a snail. It would create an unfair advantage, and kill the stock "SPEC" class for the slash. In spec racing it would just allow someone like him to plow into everything driving a tank like slash and not break.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Rookie

this would be cool for my slash
Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

I probably wouldn't buy one just to replace ours but if we broke one and they weren't tons of money I would probably replace with one.

If we could keep racing it that way.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

buddy of mine made a CF chassy for bashing...Not racing...and ive seen it take some MEAN punishment but the breaker was the car running over it and the only thing that broke were the supports under the chassy and it snapped at the rear mount....so we cut it down and made it a 1/2" shorter...ill try and get pics next week when we get together.

hey ifuonlyknew do you know what a Paragraph is ? i see lots of punctuation but lack of para's make it hard to read.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

people will buy it if the price is good. if it cant be raced, then it cant be raced. if it can be, then get over it or go get one.

you guys do your thing. hopefully you sell alot of them and its a good strong reliable chassis. why do people need to bash the people trying to help out the rc community. its nice to see that people are trying to put the effort into making something on their own for the sport. if you guys happen to get complaints on the product, or support for the customers, do what you need to do to fix the problems. everybody wants good product and good customer service. the chassis will succeed if you have those two things. i thank you guys for giving some more support to OUR sport.

this isnt pointing any fingers at anyone. i see this stuff all the time and it annoys me. i dont even have a slash.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by triggerman101
people will buy it if the price is good. if it cant be raced, then it cant be raced. if it can be, then get over it or go get one.

you guys do your thing. hopefully you sell alot of them and its a good strong reliable chassis. why do people need to bash the people trying to help out the rc community. its nice to see that people are trying to put the effort into making something on their own for the sport. if you guys happen to get complaints on the product, or support for the customers, do what you need to do to fix the problems. everybody wants good product and good customer service. the chassis will succeed if you have those two things. i thank you guys for giving some more support to OUR sport.

this isnt pointing any fingers at anyone. i see this stuff all the time and it annoys me. i dont even have a slash.

Ummmmmmm.....because the thread title is WOULD YOU BUY.... It would be rude to just say NO and not give a reason. You need thick skin to be in the business world. And lastly people aren't motivated to do anything for the good of others or to help others, they are motivated by making money. If he asked, hey we want to build CF chassis and give them away for the mere cost of materials I'm sure the feedback would be quite different. If they want to turn a profit they need to focus on marketing. And it still stands that no respectable "spec" class will allow a CF chassis.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
And it still stands that no respectable "spec" class will allow a CF chassis.

And it shouldn't
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by saleen89559
We are working closely with our local shops, they like them and many of them have said they would allow them in the spec slash class because there is no advantage of owning the CF chassis except strength. Weight is within half an ounce of the plastic factory chassis.
The problem you're going to face, and the argument that will result, is that it's the same argument that people got into when they first started racing the Slash.
1- The Slash is, in no sense of the word, a true race truck (otherwise it would compete in one of the pre-exisiting 2wd truck classes).
2- It seems as if the majority of Slash racers wanted to keep the new class as a totally spec - as it comes out of the box (sans radio gear) - class.
3- Turnbuckles, alloy hubs, alloy steering knuckles, etc. didn't make the trucks any faster either - but most places fought vehemently against their use or incorporation into the rules because of cost of the products. Thos products didn't make the trucks any faster either, just more durable, and haven't been adopted for use anywhere I've heard.
4- I seriously doubt you'll be able to produce a CF chassis in the quanities needed to hold down the price to anywhere near that of the stocker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.