Search

VINTAGE RACING AT CASTLE HILL N.S.W in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Vote on a Trial Motor???

I dont moan Dazza.

My vote is 17.5 as it has a wide application.

TO BE FAIR we should vote on this.

Than no one can moan and Bitch.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Its been more than a few years since the vintage bug bit me and there have been a lot of ups and a few downs along the way. At times I almost want to part ways with it all but then I think back to what got me hooked in the first place.

Back in the 80's I was overcome by the sight of Bulldog's, Zerda's, Optima's and other buggies roaring around the Bankstown track when I was a kid. It wasn't long before I set my sights on my own racer and after a small down payment I would be paying off a brand new original Optima at my local hobby shop over a period of time.
Some 6 odd months later I had the car out of laybye and had it on my bedroom floor opened and ready to be built. I think it took me a week to get it right.

After bashing around in my neighbourhood (and wearing down my 'Sand Super' full spikes-) I figured the car was destined for greater things so I headed back to Bankstown wanting to put the car onto a real race track. It wasn't long before I learned that a half descent set of tyres and a second set of batteries were the order of the day.

I did my best to attend as many meetings as my parents could get me to and each time I'd learn a little more about things at the track. New to me back then was the need for an Electronic Speed Controller and after begging my folks for $50 I ended up with a (Big Gold Brick) Ko Propo RM-7 LIMITED II. Running in the 540 'PRODUCTION' class this esc served me well till I bolted a Trinity Monster Horsepower motor to it. After letting out some smoke it was time to find another. It was then a KITTS K-80 MAGIC then onto another Ko Propo RM-7 esc but this time the CX-II. They all went poof and let smoke out after time but they did serve me well while they lasted.

My involvement with the BORMAC club was regular enough to make point scores and take home a few trophies over the time I was there. Not that this was ever my goal but I think just showing up to these meetings made up for something. All the while I only ever wanted to race my Optima and enjoy the battles I'd have with my fellow racers around the BORMAC track. I hadn't the money to keep up with the 'serious' guys but I got my moneys worth and was never unhappy with the experience I had there.

Fast forward to today and I find myself in a whole new world of r/c. Still Im surrounded by many of the old cars but with the advancement in technology we have proven there is plenty of life left in the old girls. While the old 1200sc packs, primitive radio and electrics and the old CAT tyres these cars weren't the easiest to get around the track always battling the cursed dumping of battery packs. Today we dont have many of the issues which plagued us back then but now we are persented with so many options we dont realy know where to draw the line.

While this battle continues as to what motor and tech we should adopt I think we all need to go back to our routes and ask what it is we hope to get from our obsession in 2010. We are all here for the old cars and the memories they help us preserve. Do we realy come for the competition or is it the nostalgia. I will always maintain that I am in it for the right reasons. While I have been fortunate to stand on the winners podium a few times it realy is not the 'be all and end all' for me. My enjoyment comes from seeing these old beauties circulating around the race track in true style. We all like to represent our favourites well but perhaps we expect too much from these old girls at times.

Over the years we've all said a lot and heard alot from one another. There's a lot of passion from people on this and other threads and I take this as a good thing. Sometimes passion can be mistaken for something else and I often put my foot in my mouth and im sorry if ive come off in the wrong way or offended anyone in particular.
Still Im here and still Im mad about the old stuff. Im not out to win at all costs and I often put cars on the track that i know aren't competitive when I look over the rest of the starting grid. Infact Ive rarely considered running a car because i think it has the best chances on the day. I do my best to set the car up to perform at its best but I never set out to win.

Why do I do it? -FUN.- Its not a paid job, just a pass time which I enjoy. Infact I enjoy seeing others do well and have offered my help to a handful of fellow enthusiasts over the years just to see these guys do well with a car that is at the very least just a little more reliable.

Where to from here?
Does it realy matter? So long as you enjoy what you are doing then thats all that should matter.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Mag

Hey BORMAC, good read..........not as good as that mag under your bed but, what is...Post or People
Bob
PS, I have already read that one
Old 05-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Default MOTORs ??????

While anything goes in the OPEN class there is this issue of where to draw the line in the 540 'sealed can' class.

Brushless is well and truly here to stay and its going to take some testing to get it right. I dont think we need to find an exact match to the Silver Can or Sports Tuned. We just need to come up with something which is afordable and performs at the level of which we all might agree to be a 'beginners' level of power. Thats what stock was back then and silver can is today.

I'd like to see a Hobby Wing system approved as these are easily afordable by most.

Aside from brushless Im keen to see the Sports Tuned 23t armature swapped into a ball raced 'open' motor can for those who wish to stay with brushed. The brushes are a real problem in the Tamiya can so this will truly eliminate the hassles weve had up until now.

This needant mean comm cuts mid meeting but will at the very least allow us to have a motor which is still running at the end of the day. This might take us leaps and bounds and Im going to start trialing these ideas.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I also enjoy the nostalgic Bormac posts as well Bob. It's the sentiment attached to them that strikes a chord with me.

I do wonder why Jase has a baby bottle on his pit table in the second photo though.

Adam
Old 05-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BORMAC
I'd like to see a Hobby Wing system approved as these are easily afordable by most.
Yep. Agree.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AUSSIE BOB
Hey BORMAC, good read..........not as good as that mag under your bed but, what is...Post or People
Bob
PS, I have already read that one
Hey Bob. Thanks mate but I think I had a PENTHOUSE floating around back then which my older cousin gave me. It was kinda saucy too. LOL

Last edited by J.M.; 05-09-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hey Mark - I want suggesting it was you moaning mate!! If I thought that - you know I would speak to you personally. I "hear" from Jason about comments made by others..............

Good post Jason - you and I have both always run cars for the sheer fun of it, like the Samurai, Viper, Frog, Wild One and number of "odball" cars. Could care less if we win - more interested in the laughs - just like last meeting.

F1 is on - but I will post something to make us all remember why we do this after the F1.

GO WEBBER!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

No Problem Daza.

I agree with Jason on the Hobbywing system.

I dont really care just choose one soon so i can start saving for them and testing.

Im not a fan of S/T motors at all particular in 4WD class.

Oh nice post Jason.

Please explain why you still have your Baby bottle on the pit table.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Quick - theres an add on!! GO WEBBER!!

OK - do we limit to a control motor as well? Personally, I think 17.5 is way to quick. If we want to keep it relevant to "nostalgia" etc - 21.5 is the more realistic option. Tamiya's are going to be disadvantages no matter what - as you can just keep gearing to temp with brushless. Jasons idea of a ST armature is a ballraced can is still a gooden and a genuine option.

I dont think we can make a decision till we have more input - I sure dont want to be hated............or maybe it is too late!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO R/C

Something I will also mention is the fact that I also get alot of "ball rash" from sitting on the fence with you guys. I try to get discussions going - letting others discuss, while I sit on the fence encouraging you to nut it out. Unfortunately a decision gets made at some time - and anyone that is orgainsing a meeting will have to face that. Speak up - debate points without emotion, and you will find we will move forward. I think we have already come an awefully long way in 4 years or so. Lets keep moving and growing the hobby.

Speak up HERE - dont moan to others off the forum.

Cheers

Darryn
+1 Just on reading the later Post Darryn, I will have a chat with a couple of suppliers this week to see if we can get a no frills brushless speedy where you cant over do the Timing and Punch settings .. there may be a posibility this options exists and if so it may actually be a super cheaper option for those who wanna do brushless .. Just thinking out aloud.. I will get back to you guys on this one..
Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys,

Just to get back to why we do this - heres a bit more inspiration from my own and Muzza's camera................... (Ok - its alot of inspiration !!)

Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rubedude
+1 Just on reading the later Post Darryn, I will have a chat with a couple of suppliers this week to see if we can get a no frills brushless speedy where you cant over do the Timing and Punch settings .. there may be a posibility this options exists and if so it may actually be a super cheaper option for those who wanna do brushless .. Just thinking out aloud.. I will get back to you guys on this one..
Hey Ruben,

Have already got Andrew (Venom international) sending me one of the new 60amp 21.5T combos. These do not have adjustable timing etc etc and are ideal for what we are looking at. Obviously the Hobbywing system will be the same as well. Should retail in the shops (no doubt yours will be super competitive looking at your prices) for less than 130 dollars for speedy, motor and card......pretty good value. Best thing is that it is a 60 amp speedy - not 35 - so if you wanted to you could use it for club racing with a wilder motor in it if you like.

I am sure you have your contacts too - lets get together!!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 05-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Boys cant we just drop everything and have another awesome weekend like this again next week.. Thanks Darryn.. you got me pumped before bed!!!

Yep you can bet I will always be competitive.. I like the 60amp idea and certainly the straight ESC no setup is the way forward!!! Excellent news...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rubedude
Thanks Darryn.. you got me pumped before bed!!!
OH OH!! Might want to rephrase that!!

Would be great to have another meeting next weekend.....ahhhhh - if I only lived closer - I could run at the track more often.

Will be chatting soon about a couple of things with you mate.

Cheers

Darryn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.